I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Tip Top concern/question
Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 11:28AM

So I've finished 2 "Micro" rods and I'm in the process of deciding on a blank for a flipping stick. In looking at all of the micro tip tops, the biggest tube ID that I can find is 5.5. The Blanks that I'm considering have tips that measure out around 7 or greater, so what has been the solution to this problem? Obvious answers include using a different tip top in a bigger ring ID, but I do recall reading something about "splitting" a tip top. Is that correct and if so please explain. Thanks

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Tip Top concern/question
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:14PM

Joe

The tip that I split is a Fuji BFAT 4.5(3.9) which means that the largest tube size is size 3.9. However it is not a practical solution for tip sizes greater than 5.5 or 6.0. With heavy rods and tips the size you mention, I find the best solution is to simply use a regular tip with a size 6 ring. Might look a little different but it sure is practical.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 12:25PM

The split top may not be functional for the blank you are describing. Even if it is windowed the ring height will not clear the large diameter of the blank if the bracing sysem is left intact. I only split the Fuji micro top 4538 for installation on blank with tip tip diameter up to 5.5.

I am delivering extra heavy duty flipping sticks to tournament fishermen using braced tip tops with a size six ring -

For a heavy duty flipping stick please consider the Castaway XP3 BB2 listed on the linked site: I have completed micro builds on this XH blank, rated to 2.5 ounce lure wt, under a total rod weight of 5.5 ounces. The guys using these rods are requesting larger rear sections of two piece grips for full grasp it they decide to long range throw heavy swim baits as well.

Use the Contact Us Button for personal contact.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Joe Johnson (67.50.47.---)
Date: April 06, 2009 01:00PM

Thanks for responding so quickly. That helps me immensely in figuring out the layout for this flipping stick.

After reading and looking into this so deeply, I'm convinced that one of the manufacturers needs to build a "braced" micro top.

As a side note, I've narrowed my blank choices down to a castaway or a St. Croix.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:16PM

My suggestion as well as others who have been using Micro guides for some time when building flipping/pitching sticks
DON'T USE MICRO TIPS ON FLIPPING STICKS!!

Not because of tube size, but for larger line clearance [rodbuilding.org]
and structural strength afforded by the larger tips.
Especially when using faster reels were you tend to reel the jig into the tip several times a day when reeling and looking at you next spot opposed to looking at your jig smashing into the tip.

I seem to replace more 6 to 8mm tips every year on flipping/pitching sticks then most other rods. Last thing I want to do is give them a tip with less material and strength to combat with.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:40PM

Steve, you are right on the money.
Jeff

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: April 06, 2009 03:48PM

I recently finished up a couple "micro" rods and used a Fuji Alconite 6mm tip. It looks huge on the end of the rod compared to the running guides, but they both cast very well. Now if we could get rid of the 20+ inches of ice on the lakes I could give 'em a test on a fish...

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.43.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 08:33PM

I use the smallest tube & ring I can find. I have a bad habit of reeling the main line and shock leader knot into the top. I started by wrapping a guide but after replacing a couple of guides I got lazy and just use the smallest top I can get.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster