I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod tubes ABS instead of PVC
Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.gswa.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 09:35AM

Thanks to Duane Jenkins for the tip on ABS pipe instead of PVC. It comes in black (much better looking than the white or gray PVC), is lighter and less brittle. Wipe off the lettering, glue on an end cap, a male threaded adapter and a female threaded end cap and you're in business- for about $4 a tube!

The 1 1/2" pipe works well. I'm now working on a Velcro strap system for a handle/carry setup. Will post pics.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod tubes ABS instead of PVC
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 10:04AM

The ABS is much better, more rigid and less prone to warping.

One trick you might try if the pipe you get is scratched or blemished, is to make a quick wipe (just one or two passes) down the pipe with a rag soaked in acetone. This will effectively melt the outer layer of the pipe and when it reforms and dries, you will have what looks like a brand new piece of pipe there.

Posted by: Jack Levavi (204.212.103.---)
Date: April 09, 2003 11:26AM

Where is ABS pipe available? Also, do you think it is strong enough to withstand the abuse handed out by airline baggage handlers?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 11:45AM

It's very strong. You can get it at most plumbers' supply houses and I have seen it at Home Depot as well.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.gswa.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 01:33PM

I was not able to find it at Home Depot but Lowe's had it. The 1 1/2" is a good size for fly rods.

Posted by: Rich Lewis (---.sp.trw.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 01:44PM

Just a few thoughts on home made rod tubes: Rather than trying to make these homely tubes; either PVC or ABS, look just "OK" by removing the ink markings & wiping them down with solvents, why not apply an adhesive-backed film to them instead? I'm suggesting films such as contact paper and Mylar. There are a number of highly reflective adhesive backed Mylar films that would would provide very duarble service; as well as looking top notch. If you can't find a wide film, a narrow film can be spiral wrapped around a tube. Even a decorative film with no adhesive could be spiral wrapped down the length of the tubing and affixed at each end.

Also, you can find the non-skid, rubber/plastic shelf and drawer liner sheets and rolls in most home improvement stores. These would also make a decent tube covering and also provide some cushioning and bee soft to the touch and noisless. If you use the solid variety sheet liner stock, it could be attached to the tube using a quality carpet tape. You know-Politician tape! Two sided tape. Other wise a thin coat of contact cement brushed-on the sheet should work on the waffle pattern liners.

And for the artistic types, why not use a few colored Sharpie pens and draw some fish art on the white PVC and then apply a clear Mylar film over the outside? Wood Grain Contact might look good on a smaller single rod tube for a fly rod. Anyway, just thinking out loud about how to dress a sewer pipe.

BTW- A rod was recently shipped accross the country to me inside of an thin-walled, ABS tube. It arrived unscathed. So these "Sewer Pipe" cases are light and can withstand the rigors of shipping. Without a doubt, the schedule 40 PVC tubes with withstand the Airline duty; as these are used all of the time to get gear back and forth to Mexican fishing destinations. These are real heavy & protect very well.

NOTE:Just a word of caution: The solvents used to bond the end caps on (PVC/ABS Glues) are very reactive and outgass for quite a while. Some rod varnishes and wood finishes; heck, even rod sock materials could be attacked by these harsh solvent fumes. I would definately error on the side of caution and let the tube "air out" and be odor free before putting an expensive bamboo rod in there and then sealing it up with a cap. It may take several days for the solvents to completely evaporate . A fan can accelerate this process. Let your nose be your guide!
Rich

Posted by: ralph jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:22PM

I make a PVC sked. 40 11/2" rod case for most of the rods I make,(all the fly rods).I sand with 120 grit to get a clean tube, then 220 to smooth it, and finally a good furniture wax. The ends I sand off all writing, bumps, etc. then finish the same way. Oh, before waxing, I use a cyanoacrylate (maxi-cure 10-25sec.).( It is the slowest drying super glue type in the toy/craft/model store) to fasten the bottom friction cap permantly to the tube. Also before waxing I write wt - length- pieces- new owner, on the tube. Made by, is on the cap. They can look good for years. They clean up easily. Heavy, yes. Strong, very. Inexpensive, Attractive, depends on point of view.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:28PM

I saw a TV commercial last night from Krylon. They now have paint in a spraycan that sticks to plastic. I believe it's made to rejeuvinate ABS/PVC lawn furniture. Perhaps it would work on plastic rod tubes. Ladd Flock

Posted by: Jack Levavi (204.212.103.---)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:54PM

Great post, Rich, just 1 caveat. I don't trust airport baggage handlers, maybe it's urban legend, but I have heard more than a few stories about fishing rods disappearing from cargo holds. With that in mind, I don't like the idea of identifying the contents on the rod tube. Why tempt fate? I'm flying to Fla. on Sunday, taking 3 flyrods in an unmarked pvc tube. It weighs a ton, but if they don't let me carry it on board, I hope to get them back from the luggage hold in good shape.

Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 04:47PM

You should not store a Bamboo in any rodtube that cannot breathe. This is why you find a lot of Bamboo rods without an end cap. Varnish needs to breathe or it will get soft. Thanks Dave's Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster