I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: who else is making custom carbon fiber grips ??
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-135.myvzw.com)
Date: July 07, 2016 11:25AM

Peter email sent. 18 lb is heavier and more rigid than 6 lb. Works great for reel seat inserts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: July 07, 2016 12:47PM

You're correct Tom I shouldn't let this bother me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 09:29PM by Mark Blabaum.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2016 12:59PM

I am not getting into a @#$%& contest with you

Have a nice day

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2016 01:56PM

Neither one of you needs to make another post in this thread. Let it go.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.sub-70-197-200.myvzw.com)
Date: July 07, 2016 11:54PM

18lb., thank you James.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2016 02:30AM

Bill I'm thinking that 18lb foam is the same stuff that they make the reel seat arbours out of ?? I believe it is extruded foam out of a machine and has a different #lb rating. {When I read 18lb I was thinking the same as you were}, Thinking that would be as dense as Oak, Then I thought about the foam arbours we use for seats and reasoned it must be the same stuff or close to it, Not sure till it's in my hand. Anyway I placed a Big order with Rileys in early june $300 worth, And had no problems, Received it within a week, Give or take a day, Order was placed online through his web site, I had no reason to call, I looked it over to make sure I had it all. Maybe Mikes on a long overdue vacation?? Or received another big order from a rod company, I'm done fishing when the heat rolls in like it has, Until fall anyway. Normally I'm building rods when it's this hot out , I'm still building a new power wrapper that Roger has been helping me out with, that I started in spring. It just seems like I have more big projects around the house this summer then normal. Cheers Jaa

Bill I'm thinking that 18lb foam is the same stuff that they make the reel seat arbours out of ?? I believe it is extruded foam out of a machine and has a different #lb rating. {When I read 18lb I was thinking the same as you were}, Thinking that would be as dense as Oak, Then I thought about the foam arbours we use for seats and reasoned it must be the same stuff or close to it, Not sure till it's in my hand. Anyway I placed a Big order with Rileys in early june $300 worth, And had no problems, Received it within a week, Give or take a day, Order was placed online through his web site, I had no reason to call, I looked it over to make sure I had it all. Maybe Mikes on a long overdue vacation?? Or received another big order from a rod company, I'm done fishing when the heat rolls in like it has, Until fall anyway. Normally I'm building rods when it's this hot out , I'm still building a new power wrapper that Roger has been helping me out with, that I started in spring. It just seems like I have more big projects around the house this summer then normal. Cheers Jaa

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 08:47PM

I've been building grips for three years after buying mikes system. Whenever I need something it's at my front door within a week. Usually two days though. You can make arbors, grips, winding checks, and I made shift knob for my friends truck. The price of mikes system is cheap. I've know some builders will use graphite arbors as the base instead of the foam. Hope this helps, also you can use the glass sleeve and make it any color you want.

Posted by: peter gersumky (---.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 11:56PM

Mark Blabaum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bill boettcher Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So I would think the only thing to do is ( in
> the
> > winter ) buy from riley and stock up since he
> > seems to have the monopoly on these He seems to
> be
> > the only one that carries it All
>
>
> Bill that sounds like a plan, I've never seen your
> carbon fiber grip builds and would love to hear
> more about how you do your grips. I believe that
> Peter is looking for someone to make grips to his
> specs, and as you seem to be an expert on the
> subject perhaps you would be willing to throw your
> hat in the ring and make some grips for him?
>
> I would however be interested in working with the
> Batson cores to see what they are all about before
> I would make a snap judgement as Mr Boettcher has.
> Every thing I have gotten from the Batson Brand
> has been well thought out and of high quality.
> Cores are the hard part to source so it will be a
> blessing to have another source of supply. Mr
> Boettcher please don't pass judgement on a product
> that you have never used when it seems like you
> have an ax to grind with someone.

thanks for reading what i wrote in my post ! i DO NOT to build some carbon fiber grips , i want to buy some made to my specs and i want them really light , it will be going on a Phenin Ultra 707ML , wish i could order some from Riley's Rods , on their hard core grips to go , on the spinning page they have a spilit grip set i like but would make changes to as i like very minimal rear grips , i have seen pictures of a tear dropped shaped fighting butt fully epoxied , without the ugly rubber plug in the bottom , i would like to incorperate that in mine and just have it smooth , not worried at the slight increase in weight .

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 11, 2016 09:00AM

Peter, I would say if you are happy with the designs from Mike, that you give him a call. I think that he may be able to get you what you would like. I know that having to wait can really be a frustrating thing, however sometimes the wait is truly worth the time and the results can be stunning.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 11, 2016 09:00AM

Peter, I would say if you are happy with the designs from Mike, that you give him a call. I think that he may be able to get you what you would like. I know that having to wait can really be a frustrating thing, however sometimes the wait is truly worth the time and the results can be stunning. You might also look at the new stuff that Batson has in their catalog, some of their new grips look very promising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2016 09:01AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster