I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides used for underspin reel(closed face)
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2016 12:35PM

My son asked me to start thinking about making his oldest daughter an UL rod for one of the underspin reels. Is there any reason to use spin guides? I know the traditional on top spincast reels that I've seen are on baitcast rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides used for underspin reel(closed face)
Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 01:34PM

I have built one rod for an under spin reel. I used a high frame single foot spinning guide that had the same diameter as the line opening in the reel. I was able to go from there right to the running guides.

Date: June 12, 2016 02:22PM

After looking at pictures of some of the under spins, I can see the need for a spin stripping guide. Will probably just use the inexpensive airwaves. Thanks, Gary

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 02:51PM

I think it depends on the opening where the line comes out. They use round guides for round openings and oval guides for oval openings.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 03:12PM

If you build it with a conventional spinning guide set, then you will be able to use both type reels in the future, should it be decided to switch from the underspin to a standard spinning type.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 03:16PM

Built with the AirWaves guides should be able to use the underspin cast reel as well as a regular spinning reel. Should work well for both.
Nor!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 12, 2016 06:34PM

Well I know I'm getting old. When I opened this post I couldn't imagine what an underpin closed face reel was. I knew what a spiniest reel was, but never felt that there was an an advantage over a conventional casting reel or a spinning reel. I just goggled the undercast reel and I still wonder why this has become common. The advantage of the guides being underneath the rod is certainly valid, but the choke point on both the spiniest and under spin closed face reel is still at the reel face. I welcome all who wish to enlighten me.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 06:57PM

Think about it
The case that covers the reel Acts like the large ring of the guide and the smaller ring Or opening ring is the same as on the guide As the Micro Wave guides - [www.mudhole.com]
So the Reel already has the Butt guide and the smaller ring attached From there why have any larger ringed guides
I would think you will not need a Microwave butt guide - The reel already has it - Which i think ??? is a ten ring ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 07:01PM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 12, 2016 07:35PM

Michael Blomme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I know I'm getting old. When I opened this
> post I couldn't imagine what an underpin closed
> face reel was. I knew what a spiniest reel was,
> but never felt that there was an an advantage over
> a conventional casting reel or a spinning reel. I
> just goggled the undercast reel and I still wonder
> why this has become common. The advantage of the
> guides being underneath the rod is certainly
> valid, but the choke point on both the spiniest
> and under spin closed face reel is still at the
> reel face. I welcome all who wish to enlighten
> me.
> Mike Blomme

Mike, I consider the underspin reels entry level, much like most, if not all, of the spincast reels. Advantage is simplicity, disadvantage is quality of reels available. This is for a young child.
Bill, to your point, the neck of the underspin reel is long, similar to a regular spinning reel, but not upswept. A set of airwave guides is only ~$10, w/ no ceramic insert to break out. She's been fishing w/ her dad, just reeling in sandbass and crappie w/ his spinning setups...he's hoping she can cast the underspin.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 11:44AM

The uderspin is very nice for not only entry level,
but anytime the ability to balance the rod by having the reel behind the hand holding the rod is important.
My wife has 3 now, going from UL to Med.
And I have others built for customers.
We use the Shakespeare or Pflueger brands for reels.
Zebco also has a nice UL model.
All hers are built with a slim Fly rod grip which makes it very easy for her to handle.
And i do use a size 12 or 16 for the stripper, just to get a clean angle from the reel
The Aero set will work very well,
and have the advantage of being able to use a conventional spin reel in the future.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 08:47PM

here is a link to an older article on triggerspin reels for fishing: [www.riversmallies.com]

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 11:55AM

They're great for introducing children to a spinning reel...it trains them to fish with a balanced rod with the same reel/handle/rod orientation. I started my 2 oldest boys out on underspin reels and they transitioned to UL spinning setups using the same rod seamlessly. There was nothing wrong with the underspins but they both wanted to learn to use a spinning reel for bass (worming) and catfishing on the river.

As pointed out above It might be wise to use a airwave style stripper so you can mate up a true spinning reel to the rod in the future. Not that there is anything wrong with keeping an underspin on there but at least that flexibility will be built into the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster