I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Touch ups in epoxy
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 12, 2016 03:35PM

I just put a third and final coat of Flex Coat on my off shore rod. On one guide I got a spot where the epoxy repelled from the previous layer near the edge. And of course it's on the top of the rod, visible while fishing. So my question is can I add a little more when doing the next set of guides? (I've come to realize I'm not good enough/fast enough to do the whole rod, so I broke it into smaller groups of guides).

I did a search and saw another guy with a similar question and was advised against it. At this point I will settle for "better" rather than perfect. I'll probably end up redoing this rod anyways because I don't like my finish work on the whole. And I don't want a complete fourth coat on the guide either.

If not I'll just leave it, fish it, and it will stay that way until I decide when/if I'm gonna rewrap it,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Touch ups in epoxy
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 05:42PM

Randy,
Of course you can touch it up.
But, because the last coat was repelled, use a scuffing pad t scuff up the area before applying the finish. When I apply finish to a guide, even if there is only a small spot, I add a coat to the entire area, to avoid any protruding edges of extra epoxy.

A representative sample of a nice prep pad:

[www.sears.com]

Do not put an alcohol or other solvent on the rod. If necessary to clean the buffing dust from the rod, just use some masking tape to tack off the area before applying finish.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2016 07:32PM

I take a small piece of paper towel wet it and then clean
I stick it on my tong to wet -- no fish eyes Dry well

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 08:51AM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 12, 2016 10:40PM

I put just a bit on...not really to my liking. But at least it built it up a little if I add another coat. Didn't really smooth out to blend in with the rest of the already dry epoxy.

Did make some headway with my epoxy though. I don't have an automatic mixer so I used a couple brand new 1/4 inch ball bearings leftover from a bicycle wheel rebuild. Just turned the cup around by hand for a few minutes and had no bubbles in the mixed epoxy. Wish I had used this on the first two coats probably would have come out a lot better.

Live and learn. Thanks to all who helped on that ordeal.

Date: June 12, 2016 10:42PM

Oh and Bill, I cleaned it with soap and water...I've already made the mistake of wiping down with DNA before epoxy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 11:15AM

Randy,
One thing that I dislike about using a ball bearing mixer is that it is possible to leave unmixed finish in the corners of the mixing cup.
But, if you like it then by all means go for it.

I use a mixing cup and a craft stick that has slightly rounded corners ( by using a belt sander) to match the rounded corners of the cup. When I mix, I mix well using the craft stick frequently wiping off the sides of the mixing cup with the stick and then wiping the mix off of the stick on the side of the cup. This insures that all of the mix is completely mixed up.

Be safe

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 11:35AM

I gotta find a happy medium. It seemed to work for me. I'll tell for sure today when I get home and determine if the epoxy is nice and hard. If it is, I'll probably continue this technique until I have issues with it.

When I stir by hand, I either introduce bubbles, or if I go slow enough to not intro bubbles, still have swirls at the end of my 4 minute timer. Which then drives me to stir faster so I don't lose pot life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster