I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cane rods and spine
Posted by: Ed Bromfield (---.dial.mtl1.sprint-canada.net)
Date: March 30, 2003 03:18PM

I am about to build a cane rod and note that it has a prominent spine effect (infact more than one).
Just curious whether the experienced builders out there take "spine" into account when building cane.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cane rods and spine
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.211.54.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2003 03:38PM

The only ones I ever did I used the straightest axis to build on, believing that any future warp or bend would go in the direction that it already had shown a tendency to. This may have been incorrect, but I still have one and the warp has increased slightly over the years, but since it's an "up" direction, it's not something you really notice. The spine is on a different plane entirely.

Date: March 30, 2003 04:06PM

Tom,
I have been told that any prominent warp can be easily removed by carefully steaming the offending part (over a kettle for the thicker butt section and with a steam iron for thinner tip sections).
Apparently this loosens the glue holding the sections together and with gentle corrective pressure allows the rod to be set straight again.
Ed

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.211.54.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2003 04:15PM

That's correct, but if the set ever comes back, you can just about figure that it will come back in the same plane.

The spine effect on cane rods is caused by similar anomolies to that on a graphite rod, with the added one of being constructed from a natural material. You just can't ever be 100% certain that each of the individual "splines" are exactly verbatim in strength. This contributes for sure and while I really don't know, I suspect it has something to do with any warp that may creep in over time. I'm well aware that improper use and storage can warp a cane rod, but even many of those that are well cared for will develop some warp over time. I'd like it to be either up or down rather than to either side, so that's the way I did my few.

Date: March 30, 2003 04:29PM

Thanks Tom. I will install the guides on this rod with any warp up.
Ed

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 07:10PM

I am not a cane rod builder and do not know a darn thing about it but I have a question. Why would you not put the bend down so that it tended to allign the guides rather than up which will tend to misallign the guides, or do I misunderstand what you mean?

Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 07:52PM

Looks to me like the guides would be aligned whether any bend is up or down. I know nothing about cane either, but I'd put the bend up so any normal load against the rod would tend to pull it straight. That's the way we all did our old boat rods made from calcutta and even split bamboo. When we'd rewrap them we'd always put any bend so it was pointing up when in the fishing position.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: March 30, 2003 08:26PM

Larry, Tom, Ed
As I think about this more I realize that you are correct and I am wrong. The bend wants to go up with the guides down. Forget I said anything. I said I didn't know diddelly about cane rods.

Date: March 30, 2003 09:05PM

Emory,
I forgot to mention that the cane blank in question is a fly rod.
I suppose it would not matter too much whether the guides are "up" or "down" as long as they are in the same plane as casting.
But as Tom said, I am choosing to place the guides so that they will even out any natural warpage - hopefully!
Regards
Ed

Posted by: David Henney Dave's Rods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2003 03:28AM

I spine all my rods that I build. I put my guides on the high side of the bend, if there is a bend. You spine bamboo just like a graphite rod. People complain about bamboo not being perfectly straight, well Im not putting graphite down but you will not find a perfectly straight graphite blank. When you put the guides on the high side of blank it will straighten out usually. The good thing about bamboo you can straighten them with heat, your pretty much screwed when you have a crooked graphite blank. Thanks Dave's Custom Rods
www.davesrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster