I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Adjust glued tiptop?
Posted by: Mattias Svensson (---.ias.bredband.telia.com)
Date: May 31, 2016 02:02PM

I have to adjust an already glued tip top, I used flex coat tip top adhesive. What the best way? The tip top need to be adjusted a little to the side, it's a little bit of right now.. Heat with soldering iron? Use a burner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adjust glued tiptop?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2016 02:11PM

A cigarette lighter flame held to the tiptop tube for about 2 or 3 seconds is all that should be required in order to soften the adhesive enough for you to move it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 02:37PM

I prefer using an alcohol burner with 100% alcohol in the burner. The 100% alcohol is available at any home building store in the paint department.

If you use 100% alcohol, there is 0 visible flame with the burner, and leaves no soot on anything that you heat. If you use a butane lighter, or torch, it is also free of soot and burns clean as well.
Be safe

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 02:52PM

Don't know why it is that tip tops frequently fail to properly aligned. Maybe it is a bad karma thing - for the tip tops. Here is a technique to consider.

First thing is to guard against over heating the tip top which can damage the tip top finish and worse yet the blank. So, as Tom wrote, just a couple seconds at a time with the alcohol burner or lighter is sufficient. Secondly, to avoid burned fingers, line the jaws of a pair of needle nose or hackle pliers with tape. Tape the rod section to the work bench with the tip top extending a couple or three inches beyond the bench. Heat the tip top for a couple seconds then immediately attempt to gently rotate to tip top. if no joy repeat the process. It might require two or three tries so do not panic if the tip top glue does not release first try. Just keep at it with two second bursts of heat.

Hopefully you do not have a tip top wrap in place. If yes, I'd remove it before attempting the process above as some tip top glue will probably ooze out of the tip top barrel.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 03:52PM

I hold a small, pencil point electric soldering iron against the tip-top tube until it moves. I don't scorch the finish or over-heat and weaken the rod blank that way.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-209.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2016 05:38PM

Matt

Check out our short video at the link below

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 05:46PM

If you use a lighter but hold it on top of the guide instead of below the guide and don't let the flame touch the rod or guide, you can heat it up enough without worry about soot and it will come loose enough to simply twist it to the proper position. A word of caution, the guide will get hot so be careful, I speak from experience.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 31, 2016 07:52PM

I found that if I align the tip on the rod so the ring is down at the 6 o clock and not up at 12 o clock gravity will help keep it aligned to the reel seat. a little water spay bottle help to cool as to not over heat. lighter, small torch, heat gun they all work.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 01, 2016 11:20AM

Leaving it in a hot car will loosen it up too, Not a procedure I'm offering just food of thought ...

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster