I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing a Chevron Wrap
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 09:09AM

I always have problems finishing the chevron wrap. I haven't found a technique that lets me cleanly wrap the multitude of threads in a nice smooth wrap. I invariably get spaces in the wrap or "bumps" in the finish. The approach I have been using is to start the tie down wrap then remove the tape. Cut the threads at an angle and complete the rap. But it never looks nice and clean when I'm done. I have seen many photos and they are always as clean and packed as a guide wrap. So what technique seems to work best for everyone. Probably the same technique for finishing a weave too I would imagine.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing a Chevron Wrap
Posted by: Michael Maclean (198.91.15.---)
Date: April 18, 2016 10:21AM

When finishing up a wrap I always double wrap the ends, cut off the threads, and then double wrap over the end of the threads. Always seem to work fine for me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2016 10:42AM

I think you'll get a flatter tie-off appearance if you cut the pattern threads a few each turn, rather than just cutting them all either square or at an angle. The idea is to prevent an "edge" from the sudden end of many threads, which you'll have if you cut them all at the same time and in the same place.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 18, 2016 10:44AM

I make multiple passes with the blade over the ends of the thread at a very low angle to the blank. Hard to describe but think of it as shaving the thread little by little. Have you ever seen a woman tease her hair? How each pass she gets a little bit of hair. Kinda like that, each pass I'm shaving a bit more off. That's the best analogy I can come up with, sorry! This spreads out the multiple little filaments in each thread and tapers them from the top layer to the bottom.

Also don't forget to kind of comb out or separate the threads. This helps eliminate bumps where the pattern crosses.

And on Michael'scomment, when you double wrap you can even treat it like a guide underwrap. Put trim bands at the ends of the wrap and then you can do an overwrap of a contrasting color.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I used a white metallic with no cp, which is why you can see the tags of the trim bands on the second one (no epoxy yet on the first). Not what I was going for, but it's on the bottom and looks cool when viewed from the top. And my daughter loves it, so that's all that really matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 10:58AM by Randy Weakley.

Date: April 18, 2016 10:07PM

Ok,

I will give these excellent ideas all a try on my next rod. Many thanks.

Date: April 18, 2016 10:07PM

Ok,

I will give these excellent ideas all a try on my next rod. Many thanks.

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 06:49PM

what I do is I put wraps over the end where I'm going to cut the threads even. If I use multi colors I leave that last one off then cut the threads then I take a piece of scotch tape and cut it to fit at the edge of the thread that is wrapped then cover the ends of the cut threads then wrap my last color over that to a smooth finish. Or if one color just do it before you cut your tie off thread

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster