I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Maderia tread and color preserver
Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2016 10:08AM

Just did my first build using Maderia thread. Everything went well until this morning. I started putting on the first coat of flex coat and the colors started washing out right away like I'd used no cp at all. Thankfully I only did one guide. I used gudebrod color preserver on all the wraps, one coat, a few days ago so it was plenty dry. I've used one coat of Gudebrod cp for many years on gudebrod thread with no issues and using ncp I usually skip cp altogether. What did I do wrong? I'll strip and re-do the one guide and give it another shot. I have cp by gudebrod and flexcoat on hand and also some CPXtra. Would using another product help? Another coat of gudebrod cp? The colors really popped back once the cp dried and otherwise the tread worked great. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maderia tread and color preserver
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2016 02:50PM

Sheridan

I've a long standing love / hate relationship with CP that tends to the hate side, so I feel your pain.

Am not a Gudebrod CP user, but think it a bit odd a single application would be sufficient. The CPs I have used required 3 or more applications to get the job done on silk.

When I've been successful with CP, I've religiously followed the manufacturer's recommended application and drying times, taking special notice as to whether or not any color shift occurred when applying the final recommended coat (not after it dries but when still wet with CP). If there is, apply yet another "final" coat.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 17, 2016 04:41PM

It was due to my problems with Maderia and CP that I actually changed brands of CP that I use. I now use ChromaSeal (2 coats) and have had no problems with Maderia bleeding out or fish eyes like I used to. Previous CP brand was U40. i put CP on about 5 to 6 times a week on many different types of wraps. ChromaSeal never let me down.

Try that on Madiera.

Buzz

Date: April 17, 2016 10:26PM

Thank you I ordered some chromaseal and I'll try some when it gets here. I did bands on a scrap blank of different color maderia and coated it with CPXtra. The tread drank it up pretty well so I'll try some flex coat and see what happens.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 04:45PM

Sheridan

I use a lot of CP on all types of thread, including Madeira, and have not had any problems with color washout or anything similar. I use several brands of CP including Flex Coat, U40 Color Loc, Chroma Seal, and Casons water based ( I have some Gudebrod 811 but it's so old I'm afraid to use it ! ). I also apply 2 good coats of CP and let each dry at least overnight - if not for 24hrs. I also tediously pack and burnish all of my wraps. It seems that all thread colors seem to darken about 1 shade with CP after drying. The thread color will darken a lot until it dries out, then will lighten to close to the original color.

Rog

Date: April 18, 2016 11:04PM

Thanks Rog, I used the brand "x" I mentioned and put on the flex coat. No issue with the color but the 2 products seemed a little incompatible and I had to go over it with the brush several times to get it even.Not what I was hoping for.
The gudebrod cp was pretty old so maybe that was it. Also the thread didn't darken a shade like it normally does.
I try to only use 1 heavy coat of cp especially on butt wraps. I do all closed wraps mostly fish and where the treads meets there's a small stair step. The second coat doesn't absorb like the first and there's a little bit of build at the base of the step. that little build up is magnified by the 2 coats of high build and looks like tiny bubbles (sorry Don Ho). I've used gudebrod regular nylon for years and and haven't had that problem unless I missed a spot.
Really liked the maderia, nice color, strong and easy to work with. I'd like to find it in "c" if it exists.
Oh Well I'll wait for the Chroma Seal.
Onward and upward
Sheridan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster