I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a broken rod
Posted by: Jordan Harris (50.110.114.---)
Date: April 15, 2016 10:30AM

I just broke the tip of one of my rods while fishing. I was wondering if I could cut the broke section off and just add a tip top and still use the rod. I understand that it may change the action of the rod and the power, but how much would it change? Right now it is a 6'9" medium heavy rod. Im thinking I will cut right below the second guide from the top, so only a few inches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a broken rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2016 10:42AM

A few inches off the tip will have a tremendous effect on your rod, compared to how it was previously. The action will be much slower and you'll find it to feel "clubby."

But, the only other alternatives are to enact a repair, which is a bit tricky in that area, or to trash it and perhaps save a few parts for future repair jobs.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 12:00PM

It depends on where the break occurred, if it was between the tip top and the first guide you can get away with adding a new tip top and repositioning some of guides in the tip section. A couple of inches at the very tip of the rod is not too bad; you still get a very servicable rod. In fact some builders will routinely remove an inch or two from the tip to slightly modify action. However, if the break is below the second guide then I agree with Tom, it becomes is a more difficult repair with a greater change in action and feel. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 12:15PM

I agree with both Tom and Norman on this one.

As a matter of fact, if one has a rod with an extra fast tip, the loss of an inch on the end can drastically change the action.

If at all possible, I always try to restore the original length and tip action to a rod if possible.

When as much as a foot is broken off a rod, I won't put it back in service, until I have replaced the length and action to the rod.

When I get a deep break as you post; I will often cut off even more of the blank and guides and glue on a new tip with the appropriate action and power, so that the rod will be restored to action.

If you find the right tip section, it is just a matter of cutting the original rod as needed so that the new tip section can be slipped over the original blank to restore the length and action to the rod. Then, glue the two pieces together so that you have a one piece rod with really no splice visible. I try to adjust things to that the joint will be under a guide, so that the new guide wrap will tend to cover the joint.

Be safe

p.s.
Form time to time one sees rods that are listed for sale that have been "refurbished". Often these rods have had an inch or many inches off the tip of the rod with a new tip top placed on the end of the rod blank.
As Mr. Kirkman indicates, these rods are normally "awful" in action and use. For so many rods, the end 6 inches of the rod - determine the personality of the rod. Lose the tip, and you essentially have lost the rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 01:16PM

I do agree with roger, but breaks in the tip section are a much more complex repair and takes a fair amount of experience to do properly. I have a large stach of broken rods because I never throw out a broken rod; do not know when I might need it. So I can root around in my stach and look for a piece of tip that will fit over the broken rod tip and restore it to approximately the original length and action (sometimes longer and slower). I do this by slipping a tip piece over the broken section. I then press the rod against the ceiling and look for a nice smooth curve in the rod. If the curve is not smooth I look for another piece until I find one that works. I try to cut the tip section and blank so I can cover the repair joint with a guide wrap making the repair less noticible. It is a hit or miss undertaking. I have repaired a lot of rods doing this, and I have never had one come back because the repair failed. However, for some rods could not find a suitable fix, and those rods go into my stach. Having said this, I know that most people having these broken rod issues do not have a large stock of broken rods laying around which can be used for repairs. So if just replacing the tip top and having a little bit shorter rod does not work, then salvage parts and add it to your broken rod stach.
Norm

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 03:43PM

How far from the tip/top did the break occur?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 15, 2016 06:48PM

Anything one does to the tip of a blank changes its characteristics. Start with a blank (characteristic A ) add a tip ( characteristic A+B) add a trim band and finish it becomes (characteristic A+B+C)
and on and on. The entire process of building a rod which may include decorative thread work ends up with characteristics that is different than the original blank, and this is expected. The user ultimately compensates for these deviations when using the rod and adjusts to the behavior and response of the finished rod.

I have broken a tip off near the first guide from the tip (about 3 inches), I removed the guide and replaced it with a tip and wound up with a shorter rod. One or two fishing trips later I was completely adjusted to my shortened rod and became quite fond of it.

If you are adamant about keeping the original length by all means repair it, however it will not behave as the original. If not, and the break is between the tip and the first guide replace the first guide with a tip and try it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster