I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CFX Carbon Grips
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 11:35AM

I just received a CFX carbon fly grip from Mudhole and it seems pretty nice. Very light and I actually like the unfinished textured feel.
They don't come pre-inletted for reel seat hood. When I put my reel seat hood ring up against the grip, it doesn't seem there's a snug fit because of the sleeve having been folded over the edges. I guess I could make sure to put some extra epoxy behind ring so when I push it towards grip it fills in crevices. Or, is it safe to sand it down? Or, can they be inletted with crafty-cutter?
Hoping someone may have some info.
Thank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CFX Carbon Grips
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 11:47AM

Call Mudhole

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 30, 2016 12:25PM

Done that before. I usually get better advice here. Maybe not this time.

Date: March 30, 2016 12:34PM

You will get great advice I just thought since they made it
Wait Some one I am sure has done it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 01:24PM

I have inletted several using a dremel tool and it worked well. Centered a circle around the handle hole and used it as a guide. Started with small grinding stone and then went with a larger one till I got the seat to fit. Went slow and careful checking fit as l went along. I think the crafty-cutter should work, but I had no problems with the dremel tool. If you used a craty-cutter I think (for the first time at least) I would use one that is a size or two smaller than what you want and then enlarge the inlet to the desired size. Better too small than too large, this allows you to fix any slight mistake. I coated my grips with perma gloss as shown by Tom Kirkman on u-tube. They came out great, the perma-gloss gives a little more gloss than the flat matte finish but still has a good non slick feel. Very happy with them. I think mudhole might sell more of the cfx fly rod grips if they were pre-inletted.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 01:50PM

On some CF grips I use a hole saw mounted on my mandrel as outlined by Mike Pederson at Riley Rods. I've also used the forstner bit technique that has been discussed on the forum in the past. Try doing a search for a lot of discussion on this topic, but here is a thread to get you started......

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 02:33PM

Thanks. Sounds good.
I do prefer inletted grips. But, it's not a deal breaker when I really like the grip. But, it would be nice if the hood ring fit snug. I'm just thinking that dirt would get down inside the little crevices.
I'll try Mudhole too. I think I've seen one of the guys from CFX post on here too.
I'd like to just sand it down smooth. But, not sure if it could damage sleeve.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 05:58PM

I always inlet them, using a Forstner bit, it takes a little practice to do it and I use a centering shaft I made for the purpose. A reel seat made to inlet looks funny not inleted!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 07:17PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the little blades on my Crafty Cutter would do well cutting the tougher graphite/epoxy skin. They could also hang up on the irregular surface you described where the tucks are.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 07:21PM

I'd think a Flexcoat pilot bit undersized than dremel to your inlet diameter would be a decent low tech solution maybe,

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2016 08:01PM

Yeah. I don't think you could use a seat made to inlet with a non-inletted grip.
And Spencer, I was thinking that the cutter would have that exact problem you described. That's what worries me. I don't have a Dremmel or cutting bits right now. So, I think I'll try sanding and see how that goes.

Date: March 30, 2016 08:26PM

There are seats that you do not really have to inlet if you find this to be a problem

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 30, 2016 08:38PM

I do have a seat that isn't made for inletting. It has a ring/hood that butts against grip.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-130.myvzw.com)
Date: March 31, 2016 07:54AM

I use spade bits and my lathe

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I can grind the bits down whatever size I need.
I do all of my handles this way and works with almost any material including antler and bone

Date: March 31, 2016 08:50AM

Just a thought but maybe you can block sand the end to level it and then clear it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 31, 2016 10:30AM

That's what I'm thinking.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2016 04:41PM

I normally use a dremmel to make a cutout. A sharp bit on a lathe should work well too. I have not tried the crafty cutter tool but think that it might work. Let me know if you try the crafty cutter, I am curious it ti works. Thanks.

We do not inlet them before shipping to Mud Hole to keep the costs as low as possible for rod builders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2016 04:43PM by Chad N Wilson.

Date: April 02, 2016 05:57PM

Chad

maybe you should

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 02, 2016 07:06PM

I would be willing to pay the extra.
I don't have a crafty cutter or any of the other tools needed to inlet the grips. And honestly don't want to invest in it. I'd pay for the convenience. I understand many won't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster