I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing cork and stabalized wood
Posted by: Patrick baker (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 09:50AM

This will be my first build and I have a lot invested with this block of stabalized wood and don't want to go wrong here. What's a good glue to bring these 2 together on the mandrel? I have wood glue and 30 ton epoxy. I was planning on using the epoxy, is there a better adhesive for cork and wood than wood glue and should I ever use epoxy to hold cork together? Now that I think about it I feel like the epoxy might be a little much when gluing cork on a mandrel

Thank you in advance Pat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing cork and stabalized wood
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: March 30, 2016 10:16AM

Pat,
Wax your mandrel, than butter up all you cork and wood pieces. Than try to scrape off as much as you can, don't wipe in off like with a rag. slide all your pieces together, clamp, your done. Wood glue may work, but I know epoxy does and doesn't come apart while turning, drilling, etc.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 12:11PM

All my cork rings are glued with Titebond III, when I have Eva or wood insets, I have a separate batch of rod bond to adhere those with (on both sides) Never had a failure with that procedure. Although all rod bond would still work very sufficiently if you do not want to use 2 products.

Ron Weber

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 30, 2016 12:14PM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:45PM by John E Powell.

Date: March 30, 2016 01:29PM

Ok, thanks everyone. As long as it's ok to use epoxy I'll probably go that route. I was afraid it would be too strong and never come off the mandrel!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 02:03PM

If you use like rod bond You Don't Need a lot I glue rings on a threaded shaft and put three drops on a ring then drop the next one onto it and turn several times If you load it on it will probably glue the rings to the mandrel That is why wax is put on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2016 02:08PM

Patrick,
That is not your biggest challenge. By the way - I use GFlex by Gougeon Bros

That will be turning down the grip with the VERY HARD stabilized wood adjacent to the VERY SOFT cork. I usually use a barrier of medium hardness like exotic cork rings as a buffer.
Also - I use "custom made shaping "tools" as backing for my sandpaper. Go slow at the interface - engaging both the wood and cork.
Your objective is to feel no difference in height between the two. You should not discern ANY difference in height when running your finger longitudinally over the wood/cork interface.

Email me if you want more tips.
herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2016 03:18PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: March 31, 2016 09:51AM

Thank you Herb....I was thinking sanding would get interesting once I begin. I'll probably shoot u an email before I start the grip. I've got a plan in my head but so far nothing is coming together. I'm new to a lathe and can't quite seem to order the right size chucks for what I need. Nothing's coming easy with that thing.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 10:43AM

When I do something like this, I turn the wood to its finish dimensions and then glue on the cork and turn the cork down to the wood.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (107.72.162.---)
Date: March 31, 2016 03:22PM

Scott
The problem with that is that one tends to get a "flat" shape instead of a graceful curve or flare.
Even the slightest curve adds character to a grip.
Herb

That being said - I also cut wood rings down to minimum size for my use. But I do leave a little bulk to allow ultimate shape I want.
Scott - sorry - I thought you pre-shaped wood to exact dimensions before incorporating into grip. We probably do it the same way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 07:56AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 11:19PM

on the threaded rod, use 2 layers of masking tape coated with lots of wax [ spiral wrap ] when twist the rings on go with the tape, so
it will stay in place , an use Tiebond III it sands better than epoxy, epoxy has hard lines in the cork an it is tuff to smooth out for me
tiebond III clean up with water, it is water proof when dry, this is only the rings, use rodbond for the rings to blank glue

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2016 12:13AM

Bill,
X10 on your glue comments. I do the same.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 01, 2016 08:03AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:43PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 11:06AM

Just a thought. One of the things I do when using hard wood with cork, is to turn and finish the wood first, then do the glue up. Now all I need to do is and the cork down to the hard wood and I'm done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster