I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX fly rod blank
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2016 06:53PM

I am looking for advice/input from people who have built and used fly rods using the MHX blanks. Do you also have first hand experience with the "higher end blanks" Sage, St Croix, Winston etc. If so how do they compare? Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX fly rod blank
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 06:59PM

I build only fly rods and have built upon many of "name" brands. If my customers do not insist on one of the names, I highly recommend MHX, as I know they will be happy with them.

MHX and the Batson line are my preferred choices!

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 07:52PM

They are my preferred blank. Light in hand, light swing weight, very fast actions. I liken them to the fast-action Sage or Orvis Helios blanks in performance. If you are looking for a dry-fly blank, maybe a graphite Winston or Sage Mod or Circa would be a better option, but if you want a fast blank they are hard to beat, especially considering the price difference.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2016 07:58PM

Jim

I primarily build fly rods and am blessed to have had the opportunity to build up some out-of-this-world expensive banks to what are best described as cheap, blue-light-specials.

I characterize MHX as solid value, mid market blanks with no fit & finish or performance issues. And similarly to Phil E's message above, I really like Baston's and TFO's blanks from a value perspective. From a solely personal casting preference perspective I rate Winston as the unquestioned top of the heap of all the names you listed. But that is just me - a recovering bamboo bigot.

The thing is (and this is going to get me in trouble) most fly fishermen do not know what they need or are not sufficiently competent casters to adapt their technique to a rod's taper. Thus their choices are sometimes based on the assumption that a "name" and its higher cost must be better, which is not necessarily always true.

Bottom line is an MHX blank is a strong contender in the performance / cost = value ratio competition.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 08:45PM

The characteristics of fly rod blanks vary between manufacturers, the model of the blank in question, and most interestingly they vary significantly between the different line weight blanks produced in the same model by the same manufacturer. When you find a custom builder who takes these variables into account along with the requirements and abilities of a particular angler you begin to understand why a good custom-built fly rod is worth the price.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 04, 2016 05:47AM

I'm a total novice to rod building and recently finished my first rod. I used a MHX F904-4 (9' 4wt) and am very pleased with the results. It's a great tool, light and responsive a nice rod to fish with.

Posted by: John Menken (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 07:41PM

Hi John W.
Can you unhide your email so I can send you a question on the other components you used in this build?
Thank you.
John M.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 07, 2016 01:12AM

MHX F904-4 And F905-4 fly blank are realy nice.
Make superb fishing rod.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 07, 2016 02:34AM

Hi John M

I've changed my email settings, didn't realise it was hidden.
I've also sent you details and a photo by email.

Cheers
John

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (149.4.115.---)
Date: March 07, 2016 10:58AM

Does anyone have any recommendations that they would suggest over the MHX for a fast action 5 wt 9' rod? Blank price $150 or less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:00AM by Matt Bregartner.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2016 11:10AM

The MHX flyrods are very nice, I also like the Matrix fly rod blanks. Both are exceptional blanks for the money. Cannot go wrong with either one.
Norm

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-148.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2016 08:16PM

PacBay Quiickline. Batson Revelation. Bingham Enterprises private line Shx. The Shx is the least expensive but very good. Comparable to all mentioned even the Mhx. I have built on all of them. The Quickline is my personal favorite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster