I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Painting A Rod Blank, Answers, not question.
Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: March 08, 2016 11:30AM

I've done several ice rods with rustoleum 2x ultra cover color and gloss clear - they don't chip or crack

For prep I sand the blank, clean with anhydrous alcohol and lint free rag, spray a light coat of base color, allow it to dry for 2-3hrs depending on the temperature then follow up with 2 more heavier coats. The next day I shoot 2 even coats of clear. Allow it to cure for at least 5 days to a week before wrapping thread. If you do not let the paint fully cure it will squeeze through the thread wraps!

Here is a painted ice rod with simple diamond wrap and top coat of ProKote finish
[farm6.staticflickr.com]

Neither the propaste nor prokote reacted with the paint/clear

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Ball (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 12:14PM

So you used Rustoleum, and Rustoleum Gloss clear in a Paint spray can? And there was no problems with it cracking off under flexing of the rod?

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.sub-70-194-131.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 09:34PM

0 problems and these rods have been used (abused) all the way down to -15*F for hours on end. They also flex much more than an open water blank

Posted by: David Ball (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 10:01PM

but did you use a clear coat from a spray can?

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 09:32AM

From the videos I have watched on how companies like G-Loomis and others paint their rods, they don't spray they dip them. Has anyone tried that? I was thinking of building a dipping tank out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe (sealed at the bottom of course). Then dip the rod sections open end to the bottom. Same process with the final coat of clear.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 04:15PM

I don't know if that would be economical. And it would be difficult to dip a log rod. You'd have to have a very high ceiling and a way to get the rod out of the pipe. Plus you'd have to use a ton of paint to fill up the PVC and would be very expensive unless you did a bunch of rods at once.

I've also seen a method similar, but where the seal is a rubber cover with a hole poked in it. So it creates a diaphragm that squeegies as you push it through. But don't know how you'd hold it once complete. I guess you could just grab where a grip is going so it doesn't matter. Just use a gloved hand.

Then you have to come up with a location and method to dry, likely vertically.

Let us know if you come up with any great ideas!

Date: April 20, 2016 06:39PM

I believe there was a gentleman who posted on this forum that had some sort of rod stand and using some sore of rubber glove with a puncture in it, put the glove at the base of the rod filled it up like a cup and just pushed the glove straight up, the slit in the glove worked like some sort of squeegy.

Date: April 20, 2016 07:59PM

Yeah but you'd have to put it in tip first. Which means putting it through upside down. Then you have to figure out the drying piece. You'd have to turn it back over to get it on the stand. And when its loadedup with wet paint, it could prove difficult.

Yeah but you'd have to put it in tip first. Which means putting it through upside down. Then you have to figure out the drying piece. You'd have to turn it back over to get it on the stand. And when its loadedup with wet paint, it could prove difficult.

Date: April 20, 2016 09:58PM

I don't believe you would have to go in tip first, you would simply pinch the glove tighter as you went up the rod.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster