I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Painting A Rod Blank, Answers, not question.
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 06:22PM

David, Don't waste your time with Duplucolor, for the amount of times you have to paint and repaint it an't worth it. Try or should I say, use Createx air brush paint. Its water base so you don't have to worry about dissimilar agents when you put a top coat on. You don't have to air brush it, you can mop it on with a rag, you can use a foam brush, you can sponge it on, believe it or not but these are better than using a hair type brush because the brush leaves streaks. After covering the blank or whatever surface your painting, use a hair dryer or a heat gun to set it as per instructions. After about 4 to 8 hrs. you can clear coat it wiyh whatever you want. The colors options are endless because you can mix to the shade you want. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on Createx Auto Color air brush paints and you won't use anything else ever again.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Ball (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2016 06:23PM

No offense intended, the problem with this forum is that people speak in broad terms like , Auto Clears, and can be thinned. No one is pointing to a specific brand, amounts, how to thin it, what to thin it with and without experience in using the category of items you mentioned, I have a hard time understanding it. I am new at this and the research I did find especially on this forum was of little to no help because there were too many people with conflicting information. Which is why I wanted to make this thread as its purpose was to provide searchable data on what DOES work, where you can buy it and how to apply it. This thread specifically will only be regarding the Duplicolor perfect match spray paint, duplicolor sandable primer, and U40 Permagloss, and the reason I am limiting it to this specific set of ingredients and how to apply them in detail.

But what is clear from researching this forum is that U40 permagloss is an Excellent clear coat but people are iffy on using it because of some bad reactions with paint. I am not sure if the Duplicolor clear coat in a spray bottle is any good. But I could find no one that has used it. So I decided to stick with what works. I found a post earlier on where someone used Duplicolor and his photos were fabulous but he did not put what he used for a clear coat. When these rods are done I am going to make a new thread that hopefully will get stickied as to at least one solution that does work, and what does not work so someone in position does not waste time and money getting started. Since I just ruined a weeks worth of work I totally need to redo this thread to put in a warning to help others avoid my mistake. I wish I had waited to start this thread until I had everything figured out but its ok I got it down now, unfortunately I have to wait 3-4 days to add the permagloss.

But hopefully you can see, that the spray paint duplicolor with the primer has produced an excellent result. And I know the first coat of permagloss will not damage it if you wait at least 3 days, and if your adding more than one coat do so soon after the first. More photos to come later and hopefully this link works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 11:32AM by David Ball.

Date: February 27, 2016 06:28PM

I will definitely look into that Dennis. But the Duplicolor spray paint DID NOT react with the permagloss. The Second coat of permagloss, reacted with the FIRST coat of permagloss. So in my opinion Duplicolor is a fine choice of paint and does not react with u40 Permagloss.

However, your suggestion seems very useful because I don't need a sprayer and can make any color I want. So I will definitely look into that.

Date: February 27, 2016 06:37PM

David , Unhide your email.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 27, 2016 06:42PM

Dave, It doesn't make sense, why would something react with its own? Why continue to torture yourself with poor results when you can be done with it?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 06:45PM by Dennis Danku.

Date: February 27, 2016 06:54PM

Dennis I unhid my email. Apparently with permagloss, you can recoat either soon after the first, or you have to wait till it cures which is 5 days + otherwise the coat of permagloss most of the way into the curing stage will react with a fresh coat. I am not a chemist, but that is exactly what happened. The first coat was absolutely fine though.

DB

Date: February 27, 2016 06:57PM

Dave, OK, sorry for the rush of judgement, just hold tight and I'll email you.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 27, 2016 07:05PM

No problem, I am kinda having fun doing this. It is also my stress relief hobby lol.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 27, 2016 10:14PM

Hi David/Dennis,

Can you email me with the details of the other water based product mentioned please?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 27, 2016 11:00PM

Like anything used to do a rod
Many emails that builders suggest ( To Try Several products ) and then find the one that you like - or that works for you
I am sure most have tried several CP 's until they have the one that they like and use it

Just like any type of CP or Finish you use several and find the one that you like and have the best results with

This board is just for that reason -- Builders make suggestions -- You try them -- if it is not what you can use or have the ability to use - You move on to the next one

Don't come on here and say - Gee you say this works Yet you do not know how to use it

Then find out what the user and how he or they use it

Maybe it is YOU that does not know how to use the product

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 28, 2016 02:07AM

Honestly Bill I am having a hard time understanding your last post but if you are offended you can email me directly. Like I said, I am new to this. The Duplicolor and U40 permagloss work very well, I just screwed up putting on a second coat of the U40 permagloss and hopefully others will avoid my mistake when they read this. I will most likely have to start another thread when it is all finished with the final product.

I hope the photos I posted work.

Date: February 28, 2016 02:33AM

Date: February 28, 2016 02:36AM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2016 07:56AM

The results of experimentation benefit everyone in the long run.

Date: February 28, 2016 04:54PM

Chris, AutoAirColors.com. Look it up. No special instructions. It's like using white shoe polish.You can paint on anything with it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2016 08:39PM

I have had good success (with some human error failures) with DupliColor Perfect Match followed by a two part clear. I won't do a long one piece rod, because I don't have the facilities for it. I have done a few two piece six footers, though. Maybe one day, but I digress. I use a tomato cage upside down to hold the two halves of the rod. I don't use a primer, but an adhesion promoter, followed by the color coat. My most recent was red, and took a few coats to cover the black blank. I don't know much about lacquer's curing time, but I'm not in too much of a rush. So, I wait about 30 days and then get a two part urethane clear mixed up. I bought an HVLP sprayer, which works great to lay on the clear. My most recent (today) was coming along beautifully....until....I bumped the tomato cage and it tipped into my arm!!! I wanted to cry like a little baby. So tomorrow I'm going to try to sand it down to one of two ends. I'm either going to repaint that section or, if after sanding there is still clear left, I will sand down to 2000 or so grit and run my buffer over it with some car polish. Aside from the 4 inch long section with arm bubbles, the paint is flawless. Can't wait until I can get a workshop with a real paint booth and a better holder for the rods while painting. But that won't come until at least I retire from the Corps in 4 years.

Date: February 28, 2016 08:47PM

Randy, are you at Camp Lejeune?

Date: February 28, 2016 09:44PM

No, I was from 2001 to 2006. I'm at Pendleton now.

Date: February 29, 2016 01:12AM

David I have that same book in your picture. It's what got me started about 5 builds ago. The learning curve was pretty quick, although from some I've seen, others are way quicker. I've seen some first builds people posted that outshine my 3rd or 4th (I'm pretty proud of my 5th!). I guess some people just have a natural artistic talent.

I did an almost closed wrap on my last build. I want to try a closed wrap and a tiger wrap for my next two builds. I got 5 more in the shoot. After that my CO wants me to build him one with our squadron logo as the theme.

Posted by: David Ball (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2016 05:10PM

Pretty Cool man, email me and I will correspond with you because I am working on a practice tiger wrap, right now! The other two I did failed but this one is gonna be good. As for the squadron logo, THAT seems like it will be challenging, and you will have to Weave it in. Which to me seems problematic without a few pieces of equipment. Your email is hidden mine is not, send me and email and I will send you my tiger wrap when its done and we can compare notes.

DB

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster