I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

titaniums? really worth it?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 16, 2016 11:22PM

Good evening Gentlemen,

As I am getting ready to pick up an Eternity and a Pointblank for future builds I have begun to ponder the Titaniums offered by Alps. I would love to try out the Torzite by Fuji but I am not willing to put that much money into the guide train. I will be building these with 6 dbl followed by singles in 5, 4, and 3.

Do you really feel that the titaniums make a difference to justify the extra cost? I no longer fish in brackish water so the corrosion resistance is a moot point. My main concern is lightening up the build as much as possible. Since these are going to be micro rods will there really be that much difference between the titaniums over the regular Alps or Kigan's?

Thanks and I appreciate your time.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: titaniums? really worth it?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2016 01:18AM

Guides are worth, exactly what you are willing to pay for them.

I would expect that nearly any decent light guide train would do a very fine job on any of these blanks.

Would notice a difference in feel or action after a day fishing with your conventional guides or the Titaniums, doubtful. But only you would know if you had two identical blanks, reel seats and grips and varied only the guides and fished each for a month or so.

Then, you would be in a position to see if it makes any difference.

But, the only thing that matters when it comes to fishing, is the number of fish in the boat or in the cooler. I would doubt very much that you would find a significant difference in the number of fish landed with one set of guides compared to a different set of guides.

Try it, and let us know your test results.

Be safe

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2016 08:14AM

I did some looking on Alp's web site for the weights of the various size guides that you mentioned, for comparisons sake.

A size double foot #6 guide with titanium frame and Zirconium ring weighs .007 oz. The same double foot #6 guide with an SS frame and Zirconium ring weighs .011 oz.

Alp's lists a #5 single foot F guide with titanium frame as being the smallest guide available in that series. It weighs .004 oz. The smallest F guide with a SS frame that Alp's lists is a #6. Interestingly, its listed weight is .003 oz. Stainless steel frame, larger ring size, yet ever so slightly lighter.

Alp's does not list a titanium frame for their Mini guides. Those guides being a 316 SS frame available with a PVD tich coating, if so desired.

Another interesting thing I noticed is in the weight of the Minis when compared to the weight of the F guide. A #3 Mini with a listed weight at .003 oz, weighs as much as a #6 SS F guide, while a #4 Mini weighs the same as a #5 titanium frame F guide. One would think that the Mini's with their smaller ring size, and lower profile frame, would weigh less. Perhaps the Mini's have thicker ceramic rings than the F guides?

What I see by comparing the different guides weights, is that the weight savings offered by a titanium frame are in the double foot guides, and very little if any, in single foot guides. Also, if a person had concerns about passing knots through guides, they could use a titanium frame #5 F guide and have the same weight as a #4 mini.

Although, one might be able to get by with fewer guides by using titanium framed F guides, with their taller profile. But even though there is potential for weight savings by using fewer and taller guides, is the loss of casting performance between a #3 or #4 guide and that of a #5 guide worth it.

I know I really love the way the rods I've built with micro guides, perform. They cast much better than rods I own with larger size guides, and that's despite the micro guide rods I've built having 2 and even three more guides on them.

I should say that I am assuming there are no misprints as far as listed guide weights are concerned on Alp's web site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 08:17AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 17, 2016 11:32AM

David, I too compared the weights and notices there was no significant difference and that is what got me to thinking if it was really going to be advantageous on a build with my type of purpose in mind. I know the titanium's are a large benefit when having to deal with corrosion, however I will say that I never had any issues with my builds that didn't have them when used in brackish water (and yes I was lazy and didn't rinse when done fishing).

I don't use knots so that is not a concern for me. After thinking about it a bit more, I think that I am going to use up some of my 2.0mm's and just call it a day.

thanks for the help guys.

Tom

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 17, 2016 12:52PM

I have played with both, and a variety of guides.

The one thing I can notice makes a difference is getting rid of large ceramic rings on spinning rods. I don't like to use size 25 or 30 ceramic ring guides. Taller frame with smaller rings and I can tell the difference. Or Minima's - still with smaller rings - great!

Just my .02.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 12:53PM by Marc Morrone.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 18, 2016 10:18AM

POINT Blank is perhaps the lightest most sensitive blank available (according to folks building on it). Don't add the weight back (after paying for the technology) by using anything less than the lightest guide that will do the job.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 09:48PM

Jim,
that is one of the reasons I am going to try the POINT Blank, it will be compared to North Fork Composites HM as well as the Eternity, CTS, XMG, Hydra, and SCV from St. Croix. It is going to be fun to compare them all against one another.

All of the other builds have been built very similar, so this should be a pretty heads up comparison. There are slight differences such as 3mm's or 2.5's and even the 2mm's and I am curious to see what affect they will have. Honestly with the guides I really don't think that you will be able to tell a difference, the only thing I can come up would be the length of the wraps and of course the extra epoxy to cover them.

Tom

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 19, 2016 07:59AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
> that is one of the reasons I am going to try the
> POINT Blank, it will be compared to North Fork
> Composites HM as well as the Eternity, CTS, XMG,
> Hydra, and SCV from St. Croix. It is going to be
> fun to compare them all against one another.
>
> All of the other builds have been built very
> similar, so this should be a pretty heads up
> comparison. There are slight differences such as
> 3mm's or 2.5's and even the 2mm's and I am curious
> to see what affect they will have. Honestly with
> the guides I really don't think that you will be
> able to tell a difference, the only thing I can
> come up would be the length of the wraps and of
> course the extra epoxy to cover them.
>
>
> Tom

Are you going to build them all with the same components? That sounds like an awesome comparison.

Date: January 19, 2016 09:10AM

Adam,
Yes for the most part they are built with the same components. They all have carbon skinned split grips built on 6lb foam. They all have an ECS seat and are built with micro guide trains as suggested by Steve Gardner. The guides do vary slightly as some have Kigans and others have Alps however they are all the same sizes. The only odd duck will be the North Fork HM. It is built with cork grips as I was out of the carbon when I built it, I will say that so far it is the most sensitive of the group as perceived by me. I am still waiting on the Eternity and the POINT Blank to complete the comparison.

Tom

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 12:24PM

Steve has built a POINT Blank, you may want to private message him for any insights he may have gained.

Date: January 19, 2016 03:45PM

Jim,

thank you. I will do that shortly to learn what he has for insight on them. I have always trusted the guidance he has given me and it has worked beautifully both in rodbuilding and otherwise!

thanks,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster