I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCF Question
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2016 09:43PM

I've used the CCS system for years. But, embarrassingly haven't done any CCF tests.
So, today I decided I would give it a try. Went well overall.
However, I tested an dancraft GXT that came up with a CCF of 85. Then I took the off the tip and wrapped on a single foot guide, which when weighed on my digital scale is 1/2 the weight of the tip. So, I assumed a bit of an increase in the CCF number. But, it came out as 83. Not a huge difference. But, not what I expected. Did I do something wrong or was my assumption in error?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCF Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2016 10:09PM

The CCF should fall as you add more weight to the rod, particularly near or on the tip. For the time being let's assume you did everything per spec.

You say you took off the "tip." Did you have a standard tube type tip on there when you did the original measurment?

Something else comes to mine - did you weigh the thread and any finish when you added the single foot?

Date: January 09, 2016 10:34PM

It was a Minima tip with a little thread and finish. I removed that and wrapped a Minima titanium single foot on the top with no finish. So, definitely thought it would increase the number.
The guide weighs 1/2 the tip. I wouldn't think the thread would add that 1/2 plus some to change the number. I don't know. I'll try it all over tomorrow.

Date: January 10, 2016 08:11AM

Hard to say but one thing we can be certain of is the laws of physics didn't change, so something is amiss if the single foot and thread actually weigh less than the standard tube tip.

Date: January 10, 2016 08:38AM

I think I figured out what I did. Operator error. Like you said, physics hasn't changed.
On the first setup with tip I think I mistakenly counted a full oscillation on the up tick instead of a full oscillation being completed on the down. Which I did correctly on the second try with guide as tip. That would have been less time on the stopwatch and produced a higher number. We'll give it another try.

Date: January 10, 2016 01:51PM

I just re-tested with the Minima tip and it was a bit slower. It came in at an 82.5. Not as much of a difference than I was thinking.
I think it shows that, for this rod anyway, that extra tip weight (about .2 grams) doesn't have as much impact as I thought.
This is a finished rod by the way.

Date: January 10, 2016 04:10PM

If the rod is fairly stiff and crisp, then that little weight might not make much difference. On a lighter rod, it would make more difference.

Have you tried the measurement with no tip at all? Just out of curiosity.

Date: January 10, 2016 04:15PM

No I didn't. But, good idea. I'll give it a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster