I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double foot snakes vs single foot guides
Posted by: David McDonough (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2015 11:59PM

Do (double foot) snakes pass connections/knots better than single foot guides (with same size opening)?
Because with (double foot) snakes the guide is not square to the knot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double foot snakes vs single foot guides
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 07:39AM

Yes - 18% larger size for size because of the "side-door" effect.

For many years I used s/f REC Recoil guides to build as light as possible. But found that the guide foot profile is higher with s/f, the wrap is longer because of the Forhan Lock. So thread and epoxy mass just about the same. I began using snakes on all my personal rods.
I also came down a size - #3's for a #10 fly rod because the Snake Brand Universals are a little bigger than REC and found the weight difference to be negligible.
Herb

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 07:53AM

Speaking from a fly rod perspective ... I think they may pass a single tied knot slightly better, but since the major concern is at the tip, which always acts like a single foot, it probably doesn't matter. A tangle off the real of course would be a technique problem better addressed by someone other than the rod builder. The angle would not improve friction on casting since it would actually increase surface area contact with the line, but not enough to make an appreciable difference in my opinion. I use doubles on heavier duty saltwater fly rods and singles on most everything else. I actually look forward to using doubles because it creates twice as many wraps and when you love to build rods, well that's just a lot more fun.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 10:01AM

My main concern with knots is at the reel end of the guide train. My line seldom knots up while I am retrieving it. I advise builders of heavier rods, 7 wt. up, to mic the connection between line and leader (especially if the connection is a nail knot) before they select a minimum guide opening. Lefty Kreh in his book Fly-Fishing In Salt Water claims double-foot snakes cast farther than single-foots.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2015 11:34AM

So does Chico Fernandez and Jerry Siem

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: December 08, 2015 01:37PM

Jerry Siem at Sage recommends a 2 size larger SF guide be used over the recommendations on their site for their double foot guides.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2015 06:22PM

I personally prefer single foots. Seems less line slap and sloppiness. I think any casting distance is negligible.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've wondered why are double footed stripping guides used? I find the hi profile, small ringed single foot guides much better. Line angle coming off the reel is better and seems smoother. Is there any technical reasons I'm missing other than aesthetics to match double footed snakes.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2015 06:22PM

Oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 07:32AM by Todd Theodore.

Posted by: David McDonough (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2015 02:04AM

Thanks gentlemen for your responses.

I usually use single foot Minimas on all my rods (fly and spinning), but do not like the way the leader knots/connection catch on occasion.

I am now building a new 2 weight and will try for the first time some French nymphing techniques using very long hand tied leaders. Knots will be inside the guides much more than usual.

I think I'll use size 2# double foot snakes. Comments?

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: December 09, 2015 07:32AM

The beauty of rod building is being able to try new things. If it doesn't work or you don't like it, it can be redone to your liking. Especially guides.
It does seem snakes may be a bit less snaggy if knot is going to be inside the guides.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2015 05:48PM

Do you mean #2 or #2/0 snake guides? A #2 snake strikes me as overly large and heavy for a 2 weight, which tends to get really skinny at the pointy end.

Maybe tape the guides in place (you are probably going to do that anyway for the load test to confirm guide locations) and have a go at the lawn trout using the leaders you intend to use? Easier to experiment by taping on guides than removing them after they're wrapped and finished.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2015 07:22PM

It would more than likely be the 2/0 if I was the builder

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster