I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone have experience with Fasco and other commercial gel epoxies?
Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 07:42PM

Instead of purchasing small amount of rod building specific gel epoxies at a high ounce to cost ratio, I'm looking into commercial alternatives. The kardol is a known product, but my search has also lead me to find fasco epoxy. They have two that interest me, the 39 and 110.

the 110: "Strongest bonding material yet developed. Metal to wood, glass to wood, metal to fiberglass, aluminum to glass, plexiglass to wood, foam to metal, concrete to wood, glass to concrete, wood to metal, marble to concrete. 15 minute pot life"

39: "Low cost, high build clear coating for tables and bar tops. Protective coating over styrofoam. Strengthens styrofoam without attacking it. 30 min potlife."

So, any experience? Or should I pass and get the kardol?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have experience with Fasco and other commercial gel epoxies?
Posted by: Richard Popola (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 11:20PM

Hi Matt
Please unhide your email and I'll send you some info.
Rick

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 08:12AM

Rick - can you please also send to me via email?

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (107.77.76.---)
Date: October 23, 2015 11:27AM

I would be interested as well!

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 03:40PM

Rick, it might be easier if you share what you have as it seems like there is a lot of interest. If you'd rather not post, please include me in an email.
Thanks!

Date: October 23, 2015 04:11PM

Rick, if you could send me an email at mtbregartner at yahoo dot com, it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by: Ron Jack (---.cncdnh.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 04:11PM

Rick, I would be interested too. Thanks

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Posted by: Garrett Stivers (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 04:21PM

Rick, sign me up too. Thank you.

Date: October 23, 2015 04:52PM

here are the specs on the fasco 110 epoxy. All the retail pages I find on it say 10-15 minute potlife, but these sheets say thats if you mix the entire quart, and that pot life for a "thin layer" will be 45 minute, and then on the second sheet a pound will be 60 minutes.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 08:16PM

I the same

Thanks
Curt

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: October 23, 2015 09:13PM

Eight ounces of RodBond is less than $15 at most rod supply houses. FastBond is about the same. They were made especially for rod building chores and work like they're supposed to. Not saying other epoxies aren't any good or as good, but considering how long eight ounces will last and how many rods you can build with it I have not seen the need to try and save money by buying something else. My .02 FWIW.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 09:55PM

1. Basically the bar top coating is not a suitable for rod building. Rather, is is more of a finish that makes a beautiful top for tables and bars.

2. Any epoxy that is available on the market that is for construction - will work very well for rod building.

Different epoxies come with different cure times. Depending on how you want to work, you can get epoxies that are 5 minute, 15 minute, 30 minute and 60 minute.

Essentially any of these epoxies have a pot life - or usable working time of about 1/2 the time listed. i.e. 5 minute can be used for about 2 1/2 minutes before "kicking".
7 minutes for the 15 minute, 15 minutes for the 30 minutes and 30 minutes for the 60 minute.

For several years there was a commercial epoxy on the market that was a 30 minute cure that came in 1 lb jars and sold for $9.

Unfortunately, that epoxy is no longer available. But there are other epoxies available that will work very well. Just use one of the construction adhesives, as opposed to using one of the "coating" epoxies.

Be safe

Posted by: Richard Popola (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 10:11PM

Curtis - Please unhide your email.
Rick

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2015 08:38AM

If you would be so kind, I would also like info.
Thansk, Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2015 08:50AM

Guys, the info has been posted in Mr. Bregartner's post just above.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 24, 2015 09:23PM

If the percentage cost of epoxy for a rod build were significant, I might be interested in alternatives to the epoxy that is formulated specifically for rodbuilding. But it's not. With a hundred dollar blank, fifty bucks in guides, five-twenty five or more in a reel seat, a few more for thread and misc, a couple bucks a ring for cork, I see no need to even worry about the cost of epoxy. And, I need not worry about whether my epoxy will work properly.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 24, 2015 09:26PM

Not sure why the post above has part of it hidden, but what is missing is the hundred bucks for the blank. Approx, for sure, but cut the costs in half and it doesn't change the
conclusion.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2015 10:59PM

not shure how here goes curtisdrumm@gmail.com

thanks Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster