I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building A Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.goldenvalleycable.com)
Date: October 22, 2015 04:11PM

I see you can buy the componets, such as a motor for a power wrapper. Any one had any sucesss in building one? or have a plan drawn out to build one?

kenne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building A Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 06:05PM

Roger Wilson has excellent experience in this field.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 07:13PM

Agree - Roger is the most knowledgeable person on this forum regarding "build your own"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 07:27PM

Kenneth,
If you want ideas, just drop me an e-mail.

hflier@comcast.net

Roger Wilson

Date: October 22, 2015 08:12PM

Kenneth,
Here is a picture of the aluminum channel that I use for the wrapper bed on my power wrapper:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I posted this some time ago, but just to share with you.

Since I have a very long rod building bench, I can use the length of the bench to roll the rod being built by my work station that I have set up in the middle of the bench.

I put rollers and brakes on the wrapper base. I mount the rod on the power wrapper, and then start wrapping at the butt of the rod. My tools and my high intensity lights are located in the center of the rod bench as well.

When I am done with the first wraps, I loosen the brake and use a finger to roll the wrapper down to the next guide. I screw down the brakes and go ahead and wrap that guide. Then I lift the brake, roll the wrapper to the next guide needing to be wrapped.

It is so much easier to roll the rod and its various guides past my work station, rather than having myself walk up and down the rod along with tools, lights, and foot pedal.

The wrapper base is made from a piece of surplus aluminum that I picked up at the steel yard for about $15. I had a machinist friend mill a slot down the middle of the channel to accommodate the fastener for my rod rests.

Information for one idea to make a nice stiff flat power wrapper base at low cost. The wrapper base is 10 feet long and plenty long enough to accommodate any rod that I have ever built.

The wrapper motor and head stock bolts down to one end of the wrapper base.

Be safe

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2015 10:09PM

Check out 8020 Garage Sale for Alum parts and Extrusions,thats where I bought the Parts for Mine

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 09:57AM

Kenneth,

I built my power wrapper using a salvaged drive motor from a portable sewing machine found in a second hand store. It is a fantastic motor. I wired in a rheostat for speed control and it works great. I also still use the foot peddle also salvaged from the sewing machine. The best part was the second hand portable sewing machine only cost me $20. I don't think the portable sewing machine had been used very often at all, looked brand new!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Matt Bregartner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2015 04:13PM

Roger, do you think you could give me a rough estimate on the cost of the build?

Date: October 23, 2015 10:00PM

Matt,
Depending on parts sources and your own abilities, the cost may run from $100 - on up.

Be safe

Date: October 23, 2015 11:36PM

Matt,
Since the specifics for a power wrapper can vary widely, I really can't give you a specific $$ amount for the type wrapper that I built for myself.

But, if you would care to drop me an e-mail with specific ideas for wrapper parts, either junk yard or commercial types, I do have a pretty good handle on these sorts of costs.

I don't build wrappers for others, but I can steer you in a direction for sourcing your specific needs.

hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Date: October 25, 2015 07:31PM

Kenneth; Sent your Email address to Seabear49@Gmail.com and I will send you the photos I have of my old hand built Rod Lathe

your email is hidden

Date: October 25, 2015 07:31PM

Kenneth; Sent your Email address to Seabear49@Gmail.com and I will send you the photos I have of my old hand built Rod Lathe

your email is hidden Look in Photo section "Eguiptment" I managed to get two loaded

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 07:35PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.mycingular.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 03:58PM

Okay thanks guys!! I'm finishing up some builds right now but as soon as those are finished I'm going to start to build the power wrapper I'm sure ill have tons of questions but I'm thankful for your willingness to help! I'm sure it will turn out great because of all your guys help!

Date: October 29, 2015 09:56PM

Kennth Manage to get the photos of my Self Built Lathe here under equipment All the metal came from the 8020 Garage Sale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster