I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rod for Jigs/Tubes
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: October 15, 2015 11:38AM

Hey guys my old man hates throwing his baitcaster with lighter jigs and tubes (1/4 -3/8oz types)... He loves his spinning rods, and wants me to build him a spinning rod that will allow him the ability to cast easily (wants a good loadable rod on casting) but still have the backbone to do the work when throwing finesse style jigs, tubes etc.... I assume he will be throwing 10lbs test (possibly like a 10-12# braid to flouro combo). Looking to get him in a good quality blank that will serve him well. Again looking for castability, backbone but not stiff.... Any ideas...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod for Jigs/Tubes
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 12:00PM

Pac Bay Quickline blanks are awesome. Super light, very sensitive, and a beautiful gloss black finish. The only possible problem is that they only make them in a 6'6" blank, or a 7'6" blank. If you're looking for a 7' blank, then you'd have to look elsewhere.

I built two spinning rods on the QLSJ782 blank that I use for drop shots and shaky head jigs. I have no problem feeling even very light bites in 15 - 17' of water with an 1/8 oz. shaky head on 8# fluorocarbon line. With braid the sensitivity would probably be off the charts. Even with the medium light power rating on the 782, I haven't had any problem getting solid hook sets, on medium length casts to deeper water.

The 782, 783, and 902 are extra fast action blanks.

If you went with the 782 or 783 for a 6'6" rod, or a 902 or 903 for a 7'6" rod, I am sure your father would be very pleased.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 12:05PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2015 12:01PM

According to the preferred length - SJ782-MHX -- SJ812-MHX -- SJ842-MHX Great all purpose spinning rod blanks, that are very versatile for a variety of techniques

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: October 15, 2015 04:56PM

I second the Quickline comments, great blanks. Also the 10-12 braid to flouro. Not mentioned is the issue of running guide size and the line to line knot. I expect you aren't going to do an "eye-test" set of micros on it, so any of the popular knots will work. If you do want micros, then the GT knot is the ticket, but tying it is more of a challenge to many.

If you need 7 feet it would be easy to cut the Rainshadow Revelation REVS72MH-SB
Bass Plastics fishing with spinning tackle
7'2" 10-17 5/16-3/4 0.475 5.5 Fast 2.67 MH down from the butt to 7 feet.

If cost is not a big issue, I would go with the Rainshadow Immortal IMMS610M-TC
All purpose bass
6'10" 8-14 1/4-5/8 .468 4.5 F M 1.7

St Croix also makes a seven footer in both SCIII and SCV. (medium power fast) I have the SCV, my son has 3 of them, my daughter in law 1, and they are terrific blanks for this kind of fishing. I have built the 6 1/2 foot version for grandkids in SCIII and they are great blanks too.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 16, 2015 06:32AM

The Quicklines are nice - and the 7'6" has a lot of backbone, could be trimmed to 7'0" or even less and still fish nice.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 16, 2015 05:18PM

I would suggest a blank in "spin jig" power and action. There are many spin jig models to choose from.

Rog

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.google.com)
Date: October 18, 2015 11:04PM

American Tackle Bushido SJ72/8 -15 is a very good blank for this application.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster