I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on rear grip length for a surf Rod
Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2015 02:14AM

I just got my first request for a Surf Rod, I mainly build salmon/Steelhead Rods so this is a little out of my wheel house. The request is for a 12-13 Ft Surf spinning rod. It will mainly be used to cast 1-2 oz weights to target red tail surf perch in the west coast. I am currently trying to figure out what would be the optimal length for the rear handle. any advise would be welcomed. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on rear grip length for a surf Rod
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: October 15, 2015 08:14AM

That's up to the client. Does he have a rod that he uses now? Does one of his friend have a surf rod he likes? If yes then find out the length of that. I build surf rods for the northeast and the rods I use have different lengths for each application. I go as short as 15" up to 24". Shorter ones for me are my 9'-10' lighter lure rods. Mainly plastics and light tins. The longer grips are on my longer rods 10' + that are for throwing heavy plugs. If he plans on standing with the rod pinned between his legs then go for a longer grip. I would mount the reel seat on blank and use tape arbors so it can be adjusted for different butt lenghts and let him test it with his reel mounted. It's custom so let him decide the length. Hope this helps. Best, MH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 15, 2015 09:48AM

There are many different adjustable reel seats on the market. Check rod component retailers at right. The adjustable reel seat allows the user to experiment and find the butt length he likes best, and to change the butt length if the rod is used for a different purpose.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2015 11:17AM

24 inches is very typical for many rods in this length

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster