I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Two questions about Point Blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 07:37PM

Maybe there is a reason why Fuji - not Jim - that make things different then what is out and Proven To Work
Why can no one compare there blanks to any other ???

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2015 09:29AM

I understand what Bill is saying as far as Fuji pushing the boundaries and coming up with innovative ideas, that even though they may go against the grain of accepted thinking, they're ideas that are proven to work. The KR GPS works, and works quite well. And it doesn't match any of the other choke guide placement methods, exactly.

But this .... and Jim, this isn't directed at you, ....... this isn't one of those innovative thinking outside the box ideas that is going to work. Using a system of rating their blanks that disregards the laws of physics by not including the entire length of a lever (which is exactly what a fishing rod is) in their equation, doesn't do anyone any good. All it does is add more uncertainty, to the already uncertain process of purchasing a blank that you've never laid your hands on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 09:30AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 09:53AM

I just reviewed Toms original article on CCS and the technique we are using to measure the blanks is exactly as Tom describes in reference to the way the rod is jigged up horizontally. The difference occurs when the handle length is removed from the computation. In most cases the handle is estimated at 12 inches. One third of that additional length is 4 inches. The question becomes (since the jigging technique to hold the rod is identical to CCS) how much additional weight would be needed to drop the tip another 4 inches and how would that change the angle of the tip. Tom's original "guess" that our powers might be a little lighter than CCS are likely spot on. I would guess the AA changes no more than a degree. I will measure some blanks and see.

Bill, I have said this many times....POINT Blank has NOTHING to do with FUJI.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2015 10:21AM

The CCS forward mounting/support location for any rod blank is a point no further forward than 10% of its total length. This was clarified in the simplified CCS article to eliminate confusion. So on a 7 foot blank, you'd support it on the forward end at about 8-1/2 inches from the butt, with the support adjusted so the next foot of blank is level. The deflection amount is a distance equal to 1/3rd of the total blank length, butt to tip. The deflection measurement is made from level, ignoring any initial tip droop.

I only note these parameters for those that may not be aware of the measurement constants. Angler's Resources remains free to do things as they see fit.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 11:45AM

I am using every one of those parameters, exactly, to remeasure a few blanks.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 09:29PM

Thanks Jim! Looking forward to updated info.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2015 10:48PM

Me too!

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2015 03:35AM

I'll be interested in the results as well.

The topic of how Point Blank gets their ratings came up in a thread about CCS numbers a while ago. At the time, I tested one of my rods using the CCS, and also tested it using the CCS but adjusted it to use the "working length" of the rod that Point Blank evidently uses. At the time I was unaware as to what portion of the working length of the blank constituted a fully loaded blank in the Point Blank method, so I used 1/3 of the working length to constitute a blank being fully loaded. The results were quite different.

Learning that Point Blank uses 30% of the working length would make the disparity in the numbers even greater, I tested the rod for IP only. Using the CCS, the rod I tested had an IP in grams, of 612.5. When I retested it using the working length of the rod in the calculations, the IP in grams drop to 525. I didn't test what the recommended lure weight range for the rod would be, but unless I'm missing something painfully obvious, logic would suggest that the Point Blank method would result in lighter lure weight ratings as well.

And that is what is really confusing to me about the Point Blank ratings. While most of the line weight and lure weight ratings go along with conventional ratings seen on factory rods, and rods that list CCS numbers, some of them are ratings that I have never seen before. For instance ...... a fast action blank rated for 1/2 - 1 oz. with a line weight range of 8 - 20 lb mono. 8# line on a fast action blank that is rated to 1 oz?

I'd really like to build on a Point Blank in the future, but I'm afraid that won't happen until I can hold the blank in my hands, so I can get an idea of how the blank actually performs. For me to do that will require a 4 1/2 hour, 266 mile round trip, and $17.50 in tolls. Plus gas.

Put in rod component terms, that's the cost of a complete MVT reel seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 03:36AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2015 08:58PM

Anyone up in MN built a rod on these blanks? I'd like to feel one before purchasing.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster