I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ProWrap metallic, what's the secret
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 13, 2015 11:26PM

Ok as one might guess from the subject, I am having some serious problems with ProWrap metallic that I used tonight for some trim bands. It is the most unruly, illtempered and misbehaved thread I have ever used. How in the world do I keep it from springing off the spool? I tried more tension, then tried flipping spool end for end, less tension and finally finished up the rod. I have to say that I love some of their colors that they have but every spool of metallic that I have is doing this? If I can't figure it out, its the round file for these guys for sure.

I am NOT saying this is a bad product, I have just not figured out the learning curve and that is the reason for the post. It is for the insight of others who may have experienced this problem and how they resolved it.

HELP.

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProWrap metallic, what's the secret
Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2015 12:14AM

Haven't found a solution yet!

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2015 12:54AM

Same issue I have with it

Ron Weber

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2015 02:15AM

I use Pro Wrap metallic as well, and know the problem you describe. You may want to try doing your trim bands differently? The way I do my trim bands is something I picked up from watching a Youtube video. It doesn't require the spool of metallic to be mounted at all, and works quite well.

[www.youtube.com]

Just a couple things to mention from the video that helped me.

First, when you lay the loop that you're going to use to pull the end of the trim band thread under itself, lay it right along beside the metallic thread you have taped to the blank. It makes it easier to count the number of wraps on the trim band, and makes the pull under less noticeable if you happen to be using no CP with a thread that will become partially transparent once finish is applied.

Second, notice that when he finishes the trim band and starts to pull the metallic thread under itself, he stops just after the thread starts to pass under the trim band, and then trims the tag end close before pulling the loop completely out. If you've ever tried to pull an inch or so of metallic thread under a partial wrap, you know how grabby metallic thread can be. Trimming it close like he does in the video, makes it a lot easier to pull the loop through. If you do it right, you get enough of the trim band thread under the main wrap to secure it, and the end of the trim band thread won't come out past the edge of the partially completed main wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2015 06:39AM

Thread nets take care of the issue with thread coming off of the spool.

[www.nancysnotions.com]

When I do trim bands, I do not just do a single turn wrap with a couple of wraps to hold the trim. As David pointed out, I generally put about 10 main wraps over the end of the trim thread, and pull the tag end, back under the main wrap after the trim wrap is complete. No issues with springy thread. Also, when doing trim wraps of this sort, I pull off about a foot of thread to do the wrap, so the thread net takes care of the line from spilling off of the spool when not being used.

Springy thread is very common in the sewing and embroidery industry and thread nets easily solve the problem.

Take care

Date: June 14, 2015 11:33AM

thank you for the suggestions guys, I will give them a whirl and see which one pans out best for me.
Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.239.---)
Date: June 14, 2015 02:13PM

I expect the new premium Pro Wrap metallic was designed to solve this problem, but I have no inside info to back it up. It would be nice to hear from AmTac-I'm sure they know of the issue. I don't think the thread net will work if you have the thread on a tensioning device. If I'm wrong, I could use details. I use metallic just as trim and don't have it mounted on a tensioning device, and just live with the inconvenience of it looping off. When I need more I'll try another brand, probably Fuji.

Date: June 14, 2015 08:13PM

Michael,

I am sure there is nothing wrong with the thread but it does not fit my style of wrapping and I like you will be looking for another. I have ordered Makoi from Bingham and am hoping their colors are what I am looking for. I REALLY like Fish Hawk but they don't have all of the shades that I am looking for.

Tom

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 15, 2015 09:29AM

Fuji Ultra Poly

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2015 01:49PM

Jim - are you so disparate for sales of your product?

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: June 15, 2015 02:44PM

Since no one from Amtak is volunteering a helpful comment, let me ask Mudhole: Is the new premium Pro Wrap metallic easier handling for the issues being discussed in this series of posts than is the original metallic? I'm desperate for an answer. With all the disparate threads available, it's hard to sort out their different characteristics.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2015 02:49PM

I use Pro Wrap metallics and the Secrete is Don't cut from the blank under pressure
Grab the thread going to the spool and ease it to the spool Less Springing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 15, 2015 03:09PM

I never cut my thread under pressure and still find the early Pro Wrap metallic unruly. I still use it, but it would be nice if it were more manageable. It jumps off the spool with no pressure whatsoever, coiling out of control, requiring rewrapping onto the spool.

Date: June 15, 2015 11:11PM

Bill,
I like Michael never cut the thread while it has tension on it. As soon as I let go of the thread it just coils and springs and does whatever it wants to. Like I said, it just does not fit my style of wrapping. I should have the Makoi this week. I will say, Karen has never disappointed me in any manner with her products she offers. I will let you all know how it goes once I get it and try it out.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 07:27AM

I do get about two or so coils but nothing I can't handle maybe you are using more tension then I am

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 16, 2015 03:40PM

Bwahahahahah...great comment Michael.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 08:23PM

X2 on the Fuji Ultra Poly.

Pat

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2015 08:06AM

disparate ...... dis- pa- rate

(1) Fundamentally distinct or different in kind; entirely dissimilar:

(2) Containing or composed of dissimilar or opposing elements:

desperate ....... des-per-ate

1 a : having lost hope

b : giving no ground for hope

And there's nothing wrong with pimping a possibly superior product

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 08:10AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.0.---)
Date: June 18, 2015 08:55AM

x2 David.

Date: June 18, 2015 09:14AM

First time I've ever been called a pimp and felt reasonably good about it...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster