I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

decals again
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 10:56AM

OK Ive tried all suggestions on decals. At the present time Im using transparent tape and want to write on the tape.I need to know what size nib you suggest and the inks that will write on the tape. What I would like to do is match the ink with the color of the wrappings .Am I pushing the envelope tooooo far?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: decals again
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 05:47PM

I have no idea if transparent (Scotch?) tape has any significant UV resistance, maybe someone else does. But I've found that Bombay india ink works very well. Experiment to see what will seal it properly (CP, fixative, epoxy, etc) - do it on a pen barrel to find out what works and what doesn't . I write right on the blank. There are tricks to doing this with the most confidence. I suggest not to worry about penmanship-what you do is you, and the receivers of the rods will appreciate the real you whatever it looks like. Place the blank into a groove in a board sized so that the surface of the blank is about at the level of the board, which is the level of your hand support. Before writing on the blank practice a few times to get the horizontal spacing right, then you'll be more confident of doing it on the blank. Buy a group of nibs and select the one you like the most. Scrub it onto 220 sandpaper to eliminate any sharp edges, so it won't hang up on the soft tape or even on a blank surface.

This is a part of rodbuilding that has no right, or wrong, answer. You need to experiment until you feel comfortable with what you're doing. The tips above should get you started.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 08:43PM

I do the same thing as Michael - write directly on the blank after I scuff the area with 600 grit paper. I use FW acrylic artist ink from hobby lobby - many colors to choose from. Then, I let it dry (usually overnight) and coat it with epoxy. I make sure not to drag the brush heavily over the writing and I have never had a problem.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 01:19AM

Guys, just thinking. Is it possible to use some sort of tiny stencils. So you tape the stencils to the blank to get a firm working position and just fill in. Not sure what ink / pen can be used in this case though.

Date: June 11, 2015 07:32AM

I doubt if stencils can give you sharp edges. I think you will have bleeding that you won't like. I think the effort to develop this would be greater than just learning to write on the blank.

If you are trying for a "signature" decal to be used on all your rods you can design the decal, print it, sign it, scan it into another image, send the image to a source like Decal Connection, and they will make you great decals in any colors you want. This decal can be only your signature, if that's what you want.

There is another option similar to your original idea that I've heard works pretty well and that is to get transparent labels, like Avery, in the size you want, then write on them. You have all the sealing/fixing/penmanship issues, but you are doing it on a flat surface. I don't have any experience with this, but you can experiment with the same tools and inks that you will use if you finally work out signing directly on the blank. I really recommend you just master the technique of writing directly on the blank.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 07:53AM

if you could find tiny enough stencils, you could just spray paint them with an enamel paint.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 09:39AM

Michael, re technique to write directly on blank, can you explain more re materials required and process applied ? Thanks!

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 11:38AM

thanks for advice I also thought of a stencil.

Date: June 11, 2015 10:50PM

Watch this video. [www.youtube.com]

I don't like Testors paint as well as I like Bombay India Ink, available at stores like Hobby Lobby, Michael's.

One think I don't think I saw on the video is prepping the rod. Some blanks seem so slick they just don't seem to want to accept the ink or paint, so an alcohol wipe to get rid of any wax plus a little scrub with 600 paper or similar (TAKE IT EASY-YOU CANNOT UNDO IT-PRACTICE UNDER THE HANDLE LIKE THE VIDEO).

Whatever ink/paint you use, you need to understand how it will react to epoxy or CP or whatever you put onto it. So experiment on any smooth surface, a piece of broken blank, a pen or pencil. I think Testors will not run after it dries, but many inks will. You need to be sure you know how to handle it before applying anything to it.

Posted by: chuck brown (208.95.181.---)
Date: June 17, 2015 02:06PM

Bill,

We would be happy to help you with your decal needs - you may call or email us. 931-436-5021 or orders@decalconnection.com Thank you Debbie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster