I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

metallic thread
Posted by: eddie martin (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 10:17PM

I am building a new spinning rod, Blank by Gatti 7' fast action. Great for speckle trout and red fish. We fish at Four Bayou Pass and along the beach to the mouth of the Mississippi River. My question is about Size A HT Metallic thread. Is it strong enough to withstand this type of fishing or should I apply a primary wrap then over wrap with the metallic. Like the bright colors of the metallic blue or green with silver edges. Trout can be in the 3-4# range and the reds can go to 10-15 #'s. Don't worry we catch and release anything over 20" on the reds. Thanks Eddie M

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: metallic thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 11:50PM

I've used metallic thread to wrap guides up to 30 lb. rated live bait blanks. I believe I saw something in a rod building journal many years ago that said they found very little difference in the different types on wrapping threads.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 07:30AM

Yes. It will work just fine

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 08:46AM

I have no personal experience, but maybe those with it will chime in. There have been a number of posts here that have mentioned significant fading of metallics in colors like blue and green.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 05:24PM

By customer request I did a rod with metallic thread in electric blue and purple trim. In less than six months he returned it , to re-wrap, because the entire rod looked like faded gray thread from the sun. Although I haven't had any issues with metallic green.

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 05:47PM

the blues are the colors that fade the most

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 02:37AM

I have advised my customers that blue metallics will fade, as I can attest to my own experience with an St Croix SCIV Flipping Stick that is only in the sun when I am fishing with it...which isn't very often. It now has metallic thread that is dark blue on one side and a light purplish color on the other side of the wrap!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster