I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Superglue finish?
Posted by: Barry Westmoreland (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2015 10:04AM

Just replaced a tip top on a store bought rod for a friend. There were several deceptive wraps still at the end of the rod and the new tip slid down, almost to the wraps. The wraps are still secure, look good and under epoxy so I did not want to disturb them. But there is a small gap about 1 or 2 thread widths wide between the base of the tip and the wrap.

I want to close this gap to prevent trash and other stuff from getting in the gap. I can mix a very small batch, just a few drops will do, and fill the gap.

But I was also considering and wondering if a small drop of superglue applied to fill the gap would work just a well.

Still learning and looking for your comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Superglue finish?
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 05, 2015 10:08AM

for such a small area it probably will work fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.2.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 10:34AM

Should do the job in such area, but might deteriorate quickly when exposed to sunlight. Superglue has a tendency to whiten and flake if exposed for ling periods.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:01AM

I would mix up a small batch. Of thread finish and coat the area. That would seal it up for sure. Only problem there is it will take some time and waste a bit of good epoxy. If you time it right you could finish a rod being built and apply finish to your friends rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:08AM

It depends on the friend. If it's a laid back person that wouldn't mind knowing you tried something different on a rod, go for it. If it's the type of friend that will complain to others when the experiment doesn't work out, then mix up the finish and do a job that you know will work.

ThreadMaster One is a good thing to keep around for times like this. I haven't used it on a full rod, but it is nice for repairs.

Joe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:10AM

I would use a little Perma Gloss.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:24AM

Barry,
Or, you could just leave it alone - and it will be just fine without doing anything additional. If you do happen to get a bit of trash, as you put it - near the tip of the rod, a quick wipe will clear it away.

Enjoy the repaired rod and take care

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:37AM

I would just use my Dremel and remove 1 or 2 thread widths from the tip of the rod.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:52AM

Chad,
Perfect solution. Quick, simple and easy.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2015 03:17PM

That depends on whether it's the length of the tube, or the ID of the tube that is causing it to fall short. If the latter, then a tip shave doesn't gain anything.

Posted by: Barry Westmoreland (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2015 09:51PM

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Chad, the idea of shortening rod a thread or two is a great idea. But it would have been a better idea for me to have asked BEFORE I glued the tip on. Like I said, I'm still learning.

After looking at the glued on tip top a little closer the gap is not as wide as originally thought. The owner of the rod is happy and couldn't even see or feel the gap.

May do some experimenting with my next epoxy job. I have a painted dowel rod that I uae to experiment with different colored threads and color combos, with and without CP. May try one next time with half coated with epoxy and half with the superglue just to see what it does.

Again. Thank you. This weekend s a great place to read, ask and learn.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2015 01:58PM

With all the good finishes on the market, I don't quite understand why you would want to mess around with super glue. Reason?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster