I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2015 St Croix Blanks
Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 08:39AM

Anyone have any numbers on the current St Croix blanks, 5S66LF2-G and 5S66MLF2-G? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2015 St Croix Blanks
Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 09:20AM

Here is a link to St. Croix rod building information.

The 5S70LF-G is one of my favorite rods.

I and building 3 each of the 5S76MLXF-G and 5S76MF-G right now. Both will be with split grip carbon handle.

[www.stcroixrods.com]

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Good building!

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 09:28AM

Steve,
I have built on many of the St. Croix blanks; including these blanks you metion.

Wonderful blanks and they make very good rods.

Be safe

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 09:46AM

Steve - I built a rod on the 5S66MLF 1-piece and I love it. It looks like you may be looking to do a 2-piece rod but I would seriously consider the 1-piece. What are you going to use it for?

Date: June 05, 2015 10:10AM

Most of my recent fishing is for smallmouth. My tackle is usually lighter than most. Living in Florida, 2 piece rods are better to travel with.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 10:17AM

If fishing for smallmouth the ML blank will be a better fit in my opinion. I live in MN and mostly fish for walleye and panfish, but we catch the occasional bass too and I wouldn't want to go any lighter than the ML if I was building it specifically for bass. I have no doubt you'll be happy with it!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:37AM

Steve,

If by lighter than most you are getting into the realm of Midwest Finesse Fishing and the Ned Rig with 1/32-1/16 oz open hook jigs, then either rod will serve you well, though I would gravitate toward the L in this application. You could get by with L with most open hook presentations with less than 1/4 oz of lead.

You are in the 1/8-1/4 oz of lead realm, then I would aim toward the ML. Also, if you are fishing anything that is T-rigged, such as flukes, seances, light T-rigs, shake heads, etc., I would go to the ML power. I built a Batson ISJ781 light power spin jig, probably not all that different from the 66L in terms of action and power, as a casting rod to push the lower limits of my casting ability with weightless plastics, but it just didn't have the power to hook bigger fish, and has since seen little use. I'm now tinkering with the idea of possibly extending it 4"-6" and rebuilding it as a spinning rod for MWF applications. I've always wanted something similar to the 823 and 822.5 with just a bit softer tip, and this could get me there. (Sorry for the divergence at the end, just thinking aloud for a bit.)

Joe

Date: June 05, 2015 08:46PM

I rarely fish anything heavier than 4 pound test in shallow water. I have played with PE .03 lines for offshore work in LSC and Erie and deeper areas of Pickwick. A soft tip works, however the blank needs to lock up to work bigger fish. I depend on light wire hooks rather than the rod for hook sets. CCS/RDA numbers would help but ultimately, building a rod may be the best answer.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 09:14PM

i fish 90% smallmouth bass in Pa rivers. Ive had many many st croix factory rods and customs from premiers to elites. I wouldnt go any lighter than the 66MLF from st croix. Their L powered blanks lack the backbone FME and feel too soft. If your not stuck on st croix than id give a hard look at the mhx hi mod SJ 781. great smallie blank and fishes more like a ML IMHO. I I have a 5s66MLF and the mhx sj781 both built as casting rods with daiwa pixys on them and i much perfer the mhx blank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster