I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommndations on additional epoxy thread finishes
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2015 05:12PM

I use Prokote regular / hi build and it is the only epoxy finishes I have worked with. I am looking to expand my knowledge of materials and would like thoughts and recommendations on which epoxy to try next.

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommndations on additional epoxy thread finishes
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2015 05:46PM

There are many good epoxy finishes out there, such as Trondak, Flex Coat, and others. It is up to you to test them to see which works best for your needs. I tested everyone of them and have my favorites. Some are better than others, but it is a very subjective thing. What works well for me may not for you. Test, test, and test again.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: June 04, 2015 07:25PM

Testing can get expensive especially when you realize that there are only about three or four actual epoxy finishes out there and everything else is just repackaged and relabeled from one of those three or four. Trondak, Flex Coat, BD Classic Coat, Envirotex. Take your pick.

Date: June 04, 2015 07:29PM

That's what I was thinking - it would get expensive - that's why I was asking for recommendations with pros and cons through other builders experiences.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2015 07:30PM

Jon,

I see a lot of guys swear by Thread Master and others who wouldn't use anything but Flex Coat. I myself use ProKote too; but it isn't as durable as some other epoxies. I like the working time of the lite build and it is almost crystal clear. I normally apply two coats of Perma Gloss then one or two coats of light build. So far I have not had any reason to change.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.2.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 04, 2015 09:09PM

I was a ProKote only fan and finally took the dive into the finish testing pool. Came out with ThreadMaster as a great alternative.

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne7.internode.on.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 05:29AM

Hi Jon,

My thoughts on the which finish to use is this. Put ten rod builders in a room and ask them which finish do they like. My guess is, you will get eight different answers.
Personally, I think it is more of a situation of, you taking the time to learn the things a certain finish wants to do. Not a situation of changing finishes, in the hope of finding one that suits you. Different finishes are different to different finishes.
You will make mistakes along the way, sure, but there wouldn't be many builders that can say they have never had a duuh day.
Pick one and have sum fun playing with it.

Kind regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.
Australia.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 05, 2015 07:43AM

Jon Hood,

If you unhide your email address I will send you an interesting link where you can read up on a few finishes.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 08:51AM

John Powell - could you send me that link too?

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 08:51AM

John Powell - could you send me that link too?

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 05, 2015 10:07AM

Link to info sent

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 05, 2015 06:09PM

Jon
I have used most of the major branded finishes for the past 10 years. I have finally settled in on Threadmaster lite lately - not because I think it's the best finish - but because I have gotten used to it's application/curing characteristics and , and because it lets me "get-a-way with more" when little self caused mishaps and patch-ups are necessary!!
Rog

Date: June 05, 2015 06:12PM

Getting some great input guys! Thanks!

Jon Hood

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2015 08:06AM

I like pac bay rod finish I don't have problem with bubbles that I have with other finish

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2015 11:34AM

John, can you push the finish link to me as well. Thanks!

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 07, 2015 12:17PM

I use Pro kote lite and threadmaster light mixed. And I know another gent who uses Prokote heavy and pro kote lite mixed.

use the same ratio for each. so if you are using 2 cc of prokote lite then use 2cc of threadmaster lite and mix together

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 08:36PM

Rolly, Why do you do that??

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.static.tor.primus.ca)
Date: June 07, 2015 09:00PM

I love Pro kote and Flexcoat, I tried the threadmaster light it worked good but it stinks bad, it gives me a headache.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 12, 2015 07:48PM

My votes go to Threadmaster and Flex Coat. Didn't like the Pro Kote when I tried it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster