I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uneven finish
Posted by: Cory Leiman (---.umts.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 08, 2015 09:15AM

Hello. I have a rod that I have gotten the finish uneven in front of the foregrip. I'm using U40 LS supreme and it's been alittle over twelve hours on the dryer. What's the best way to correct this issue. Learned a lesson again. Was in a rush and wanted to get the finish on in order to give the rod afew days to cure before our opening day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uneven finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2015 09:19AM

Let it harden for another day or two (keep in a warm area) block sand flat and recoat lightly.

Date: May 08, 2015 09:22AM

Thanks Tom. Great site. I don't post a lot but your past and current topics are a great help to me. Thanks again.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2015 10:56AM

Cory,

I too have had this problem and it drove me crazy. I then watched a Flex Coat video on their web site on how they apply epoxy. When applying epoxy they turn the rod at about 200 rpm, (fast). Then they transfer the rod to a drying motor. My rod drying cabinet has slow drying motors in to, (12-18 rpm), so I use my rod wrapper to apply epoxy. I place a heavy object on the foot pedal and adjust the rotation speed to +/- 200 rpm and apply the epoxy. It now comes smooth as glass. Then I transfer the rod to my drying cabinet. Try it, "Mikey likes it"!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 08, 2015 02:09PM

note if your rod is not level this will cause problems , epoxy tends to run in the direction of the down hill side
as you said uneven epoxy one side or waves , too different problems

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2015 06:57PM

Cory,
Since you wanted to get the rod finished to go fishing, I would suggest that you use the rod and go fishing with it until fall.

Then, if you still want to do something with it, sand it down as Mr. Kirkman suggested and recoat.

Be safe

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 09, 2015 11:08AM

Key takeaway from this is that regardless of the application speed, or method, applying too much epoxy will likely result in an uneven surface. The excess epoxy simply has nowhere to go so it sags in places while the rod is turning/curing.

Jeff

Date: May 10, 2015 11:32PM

Thanks for the help from all of you. I'm kind of a nut so to speak. Yes my rod is level. I'm sure my issue was to much epoxy and then leaving it be to do other things. When I came back hours later I had the uneven finish and it had been turning for several hours. I am in the process of blocking it out and will reapply as Tom suggested. I have seen the high speed application method and may try it in the future. I will post a message as to how it turns out. Thanks again all. Cory

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2015 07:51AM

Usually caused buy too much finish After applying let turn several min then stop the turner and take off any drops underneath the rod If a long area brush long wise left to right then right to left this will help even the finish out Got to babysit

Also check out YouTube on Rodbuilding Applying Finish

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 07:57AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: May 11, 2015 01:45PM

It worked out. Blocked them out with 400 and put a light coat overtop this morning. Thanks again

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2015 01:56PM

Excellent

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster