I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fiberglass jerkbait rod
Posted by: Pawel Sadowski (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:13PM

Hi everyone,
as I mentioned above, came to my mind - some time ago to be honest, idea to build jerkbait rod for 3/8 and 1/2 ounce jerkbaits, but from fiberglass. Why fiberglass ? Because main target is european cousin of yellow perch - hard and furious fighter, unluckily (for me) equipped by mother nature with very soft mouth. So, there's a key figure - blank's softness and ability to keep fish pinned during the fight. After a while, when I've checked several graphite blanks, I came to conclusion - that, they usually are to stiff and to strong (17lb - up to 5/8 oz, 15lb up to 1/2 oz), thus, I am losing many fish. Since, this "amazing discovery", I started thinking about something similar to Lamiglas MB 84-1E, but much less powerful, and definitely shorter . I really like mentioned blank, for its powerful butt section, and soft tip - all combine together in "glass" fast action. It shines - but with bigger jerkbaits.
So I assume that, a requirement might be for shorter blank, about 6'6'', able to move efficiently shallow to mid-depth working jerkbaits (3/8 - 1/2 ounce), but with this specific "glass" softness.
power - glass type medium might be adequate, I think. Did anybody had, similarly challenging idea ? I'll be very grateful for some advice in my search.
Regards Pawel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fiberglass jerkbait rod
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:55PM

Since the Lami 84-1E is off the table, the RFLE 765 chopped down to whatever length you want will be off the table as well. While not identical by any means, they are in a similar ball park.

Believe it or not, I would actually recommend a graphite blank in this scenario, not for the material, but because of the way this particular blank performs. Take a look at the Batson CB66M, it's underpowered for its lure rating and behaves more like a glass blank in the hand than a graphite blank. It requires a slow casting stroke, doesn't lock up like many graphite blanks making it very forgiving. It seems like every fish I catch on it is barely skin hooked, but they don't come off. It's a great blank, but just doesn't suit my taste, and I'm a finesse fisherman. If glass is a must, something like the SPG783 might be worth a look, but I'm not positive since I haven't built on that particular blank yet.

Joe

Date: April 10, 2015 02:12PM

Joe, thanks for response.
I've similar feelings as You, about underpowered crankbait blank - my is CB70MH. I've found it good for lipless crankbaits application. Its forgiveness, allow me to keep, these soft mouth ''jumbo'' perches, buttoned up, until I land them on boat deck. Suggested by You 765 seems far too long for my need, Trimming is not a issue - only shipping cost (to europe). I took a look, on mentioned by you SPG783 , and compared it with Seeker SBS655, which is top thinner and have butt section much thicker - maybe this seeker will be solution for my search ?
Haven't had it in my hand yet, so hard to judge. Maybe someone else, have used this blank with similar presentation - small jerkbaits ?
Graphite blanks are still on second plan, but who knows, might be that I finish with two rods made from different materials for this particular purpose - sounds nice. Like always, any reason to build another rod - is a good reason !
Regards Pawel

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 10:43PM

I like the S-Glass Seeker SBS 706.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: April 11, 2015 08:00AM

I guess a lot of this is subjective, but as Joe mentions I really like the Batson CB series. I have had good luck with the CB70MH and CB70H blanks for the application you are describing. I think you would be pleased if you tried one. You can easily trim 6" off the butt of these blanks to get 6'6" overall length. And they are an incredible value...definitely the least expensive I can think of that meets your needs. I find they fish a little lighter than they are rated but the M or MH should be great for what you are doing.

Another absolutely stand out blank for this is the St. Croix 3C66MM. I realize this is a graphite blank but it is purpose built for exactly what you are doing and it WORKS. Most are too stiff but this one is NOT. It will be very, very light and very small diameter compared to the fiberglass blanks but they make awesome topwater and crankbait rods.

If you can find one, the Loomis CB783 is also exactly what you are looking for (albeit in a graphite blank) I hope this helps - good luck!

Bill

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 11, 2015 09:06AM

These pics are of a Phenix XG-1 S-Glass rod that I built. I use it primarily for cranks but also for jerk baits when I fish them (not a lot). I think it meets all the criteria you are looking for except that it is a 7 footer. Shortening at the butt end would not be a problem for this rod. I like the feel of this rod, It transmits every vibration of the crank and is very flexible so would work well on those soft mouths. It's definitely one you should look at.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: April 11, 2015 03:08PM

Thanks for responces. I consider every, from suggested options, to solve my challenge for those soft mouths.

Steve - pretty impressive result, your spiral wrap looks nice. I'll look at XG-1.

Bill - I really like too, mentioned CB Batson's series. And I agree that (despite their length) they perform, adequately to the demanded presentation. I'll take a look on 3C66MM too.

Spencer - would You say, something more about this SBS706 ?

Regards Pawel.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2015 04:34PM

Pawel,

Cutting down the RFLE 765 to 7' pretty much results in the @#$%& 706. If you want something less powerful that the Lami, MB 84 1E, this one isn't likely to be it. The tip is a bit softer than the Lami blank, but both blanks have a good bit of power in the butt.

Joe

Date: April 12, 2015 12:38PM

thanks Joe,
yep, exactly I'm searching for something less powerful than MB 84-1E, but with the same genes - ''glass forgiving'' fast, with some backbone in low section, enough though, to allow me run those small jerkbaits properly, and no longer than 6'6''. It looks like, my search for fiberglass jerkbait rod, do not end up so quickly ...
Regards Pawel.

Date: April 13, 2015 11:27PM

The SBS706S is a dandy moving bait rod, wouldn't use it for jigging. Lighter tip than the MB841, final backbone pretty close. Just remembered that Mudhole has all these blanks and some S-Glass of their own, the SSP series of their MHX line. So many options in one spot might give better results.

Date: April 13, 2015 11:27PM

The SBS706S is a dandy moving bait rod, wouldn't use it for jigging. Lighter tip than the MB841, final backbone pretty close. Just remembered that Mudhole has all these blanks and some S-Glass of their own, the SSP series of their MHX line. So many options in one spot might give better results.

Date: April 15, 2015 02:10PM

thanks Spencer, I was thinking about them too, they look pretty promising.
Am wrong ? if they have, the same characteristics as old lamiglas, spinning/crankin' S glass, SSP series, somewhere around 2004 ?
Regards Pawel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster