I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: double butt guides / microwave
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 08:21PM

Almost finished my second personal build with the MW, the stripper may look funny, but the only thing I notice when fishing is the smoother and longer casts.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 09:07PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Swampland, and just how are all the others made?
> By hand?

Randolf if you would read my post again. I quoted Steve when he said they were the only things not made by a machine. I replied that they were made by machine. Please read his post and then my reply b

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 03, 2015 09:24PM

Swampland, is that the name of a person? Well, "Swampland', where in my quote did I use the word 'only'? Shocked at your interpretation of the theme of my post. Unbelievable!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2015 09:44PM

Sponsors are allowed to post under their company names.

Let's all take a moment and remember this just rod building. It's not life or death.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 11:12PM

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 08:57PM by Billy Vivona.

Date: April 03, 2015 11:12PM

Bill, Amtak decided to force you to buy the entire set so they can make more money on a concept that "they" designed. Is it really that difficult to understand? Why should they sell only the stripper guide? IT will only allow hacks to mix and match guides imporperly and say the system doesnt' work. The way they sell it, it's idiot proof. They give you all teh guides you need, they tell you where to put them. Is it the best possible guides to use on every single rod? Nope. Is it a set that 99% of the builders can buy, put on a rod and build it without a hundreds questions and confusion like usual - absolutely.

For me, the $33 teh set of guides cost is worth it not having to guess at teh guide spacing nor do you have to test cast, they made it so anyone can build a rod that works as advertised (I disagree with casting further). They made a business decision to not sell teh sets, if you don't ike it, and you're not going to buy or try them - why are you bothering to post about them?

USing 2 guides to funnel line is not a new concept. ROdcrafters used to tout a 100mm guide or a 4" guide on fly rods. Supposedly it tamed the line and made it shoot better. I can tell you why it never caught on....it looked goofy. Add to all this...the weight of the rod. YOu FW guys love the lighter arguement, using smaller guides, split reel seats, less thread, etc ,etc - adding an additional guide accopmplishes the opposite of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 12:10AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 04, 2015 12:01PM

"Hacks"? Billy ?!?

Posted by: larry roby (205.197.242.---)
Date: April 04, 2015 02:47PM

wow really billy I love your usefull pile of information."Hacks wow"
as for the others and helping me with my decisions and ideas I appreciate your input.lots great rod builders here.
And I still like the looks of double butt over microwave.
doesnt mean I wont use it but im not fond of how it looks.
so I guess microwave guides were hacks as well because theres no way they used two butt guides in theyre expeimenting. blah. just because microwave put the six mm guide at chosen distance from butt doesnt mean its the best.maybe it was manufacturing reasons.of wich I have my own theory. please dont turn this thread into crap im just trying to learn here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 03:05PM by larry roby.

Posted by: larry roby (205.197.242.---)
Date: April 04, 2015 03:24PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I think this looks good myself.borrowed photo.not mine

Date: April 04, 2015 04:53PM

That's mine. Everything matches which at least helps with the looks.

Doug Hannon spent a lot of time getting the sizes of his MicroWave butt guide just right, according to him. By manufacturing the guide he didn't have to rely upon whatever sizes he could get to work off the shelf.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 06:09PM

But
You can not tell me they Will Not Work With Other Guides Once the pigtails are tamed from the butt guide and the secound guide it is just a streight line to the tip

And since this is a free country with choises I Want The Choise to use them or not

Also has anyone weighted the running guides and canpared them to fly guide
And since they are selling so many -- Why not let builders have the choise ????
And
If one gets broken -- Can a builder get ONE BUTT guide ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 04, 2015 09:03PM

It's not really a free country since you can't just buy the single MW Stripper guide, now is it. You can complain and complain 438 times on every single post that comes up about the MW's ,but it hasn't done any good.

I didn't specify anyone as a hack, I stated that they are preventing hacks from mangling the guide system which they perfected. If you feel tha tyou would screw teh guides up, then I guess the shoe fits. If you don't think you'll screw it up, I guess it doesn't apply so there's no reason to be butt hurt.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 09:04PM

As Amirica is a frea cuntry bil you kan do what yuo want as fer as runnin gides geos

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Re: double butt guides / microwrave
Posted by: larry roby (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 12:46AM

looks good T kirkman. What guides and size to match it up like that. ive been looking at fuji kr but cant find a match

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 02:52AM by larry roby.

Date: April 05, 2015 07:10AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doug Hannon spent a lot of time getting the sizes of his MicroWave butt guide just right, according to him.

THis is where the hacks come in. THey spent a lot of time getting the distance between the big ring and smaller ring right. Sizes, and distance. Back and forth test after test before nailing it and going into production with the system. SOme configurations and distances didn't work as good as the one they went to production with.

So now there are guides which line up so you can put 2 guides humping each other on the rod. WE know nobody tested a set up like these in depth, we know you didn't tinker with sizes to optimize the set up, we know you didn't test cast various set ups to find the best one. All you did is get 2 guides which line up similar to the MW guide. Slap it on teh rod and there you have it....a bootleg MW set up. Does it work - sure it does. Is it the best possible set up...who knows since you didn't go through the extensive testing that Amtak did to get the system right. Great job reinventing the wheel but making it oval instead of round.

Re: double butt guides / microwrave
Date: April 05, 2015 08:06AM

When the PacBay Minimas came along I was able to better match the height and rings, almost perfectly actually, but it was the only guide series that allowed me to do it. For all I know, it still may be.

Remember, at the time I was doing it there was no such thing as a MicroWave guide. That guide and their system hadn't been invented yet.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 09:13AM

Bill ..
Why is it that so many of your posts come across as negative? You - and everyone else has a choice to either buy the microwave guide sets or not. It's as simple as that either spend money or putz around. Go ahead experiment with doubling up guides & testing them out for performance - I don't know a rod builder that isn't a tinkerer or stymied inventor at heart. You seem to pose questions such as "has anyone weighed them against fly guides" rather than providing answers. The running guides (since they are meant for spinning rods and have reinforced "protected" rings they are certainly heavier than fly guides. Heck more than one builder was using fly guides on spinning rods years ago. Just like a blank is a blank & doesn't know what it will be turned into so too guides really don't know what type of rod they will be put on - within the bounds of reason......

Bill ..
Why is it that so many of your posts come across as negative? You - and everyone else has a choice to either buy the microwave guide sets or not. It's as simple as that either spend money or putz around. Go ahead experiment with doubling up guides & testing them out for performance - I don't know a rod builder that isn't a tinkerer or stymied inventor at heart. You seem to pose questions such as "has anyone weighed them against fly guides" rather than providing answers. The running guides (since they are meant for spinning rods and have reinforced "protected" rings they are certainly heavier than fly guides. Heck more than one builder was using fly guides on spinning rods years ago. Just like a blank is a blank & doesn't know what it will be turned into so too guides really don't know what type of rod they will be put on - within the bounds of reason......

Bill ..

Posted by: larry roby (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 10:04AM

thank you tom

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster