I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: double butt guides / microwave
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 01:14PM

Sorry Steve, it looks bad with 2 guides that close, especially since they don't match. When TOm posted his original photo is looked just as bad. I don't know what to say, some things look appealing, that does not. Whatever, people aren't going to like what I'm gonna say but it looks like one guide is humping the otehr, the difference with me and everyoen else is I'm stupid enough to say what most people are thinking. And when you post a pic and nobody comments, there's a reason why and it's usually they dont' want to be negative

Amtak has spend a lot of time and money building up teh brand. YOu guys trying to do stuff you're one way...how many rods are you building set up teh way you set them up/ IMO, rodbuilders outthink themselves, instead of cashing in on teh marketting and promotion that Amtak has done with this system, they think they are gonna be smarter and prove they can do what Amtak has done and save $5, but then have to explain why. Amtak did it all already for you.

Bill, I dont' know where you are buying guides from but a set of MW's is $33 for Duralites, $42 for nano. If you are paying tax you're ordereing form the wrong place. I have no idea why people don't likethe running guides, it's a frigging guide you guys are capable of finding ways to have an issue with everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 01:16PM by Billy Vivona.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 01:14PM

repeat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 01:15PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: April 03, 2015 02:40PM

Sorry Steve Not liking it one bit. One minma guide and one M Frame guide. You would have thought you would at least used a Minama M frame guide .

Billy I think if you go through Willie rods posts Bill has a problem with everything.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 03:02PM

NO
I just have a problem when some one tells me I can not - or should not do some thing And then can not give me a REASON WHY

I also liked the first picture of of Toms of the two Minima guides together Looked better then a spiral wrap
The two different guides does not look good But probably works Just use matching guides

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 03:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: April 03, 2015 03:23PM

Have not put a micro wave guide on a rod yet so can not say good or bad.
What I am waiting for is someone to bring me one they stepped on and broke and I tell them what it cost to replace.
Ricky

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 04:19PM

I bought a few sets of these guides because of all the hype about them. (That was not meant to be derogatory, I guess I should have said advertising and commentary). I am currently building two identical rods, one with the Micro's, and one with standard single foot spinning guides, only when done and tested, will I make up my mind about them.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 03, 2015 04:27PM

Ah, 'cashing in on the market'! Of the 245 words you wrote to explain your opinion, ( over thinking?) those appear to be in neon. But as always, after meeting you several times, I appreciate your opinion and your blunt honesty Billy!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2015 04:32PM

The only reason I did what I did with them was because there wasn't anything along the lines of a Microwave on the market at that point. Had there been, I wouldn't likely have bothered. But that's what custom rod building is all about - going beyond what is offered on the shelf and figuring out ways to cook up what you want or need. Having said that, I wouldn't likely do any more that way since there is a guide out there (Microwave) that does the same job now.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 05:16PM

I have three rods now with microwaves and several on rods that I have built for my fishing friends. We like them. A friend of mine that is a metal worker saw mine and went home and made a guide using a stainless steel rod to make a small but tall guide to go in front of his butt guide. That was two years ago and he is still fishing that rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 05:24PM

Hay Billy

Why would they not want to sell the butt guide and let builders Make there own decision on what guides they want to us I have not weighted there running guides to say single foot fly guides

The tax was on MudHoles site Weathers others have it --- I don't know

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: larry roby (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 05:52PM

I think it looks good steve.Im trying to figure out if any of the fuji klh guides will match up this way

Date: April 03, 2015 05:52PM

I think it looks good steve.Im trying to figure out if any of the fuji klh guides will match up this way

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 06:25PM

Steve Cox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite contrary to what the renowned Mr V gave you
> as his opinion, putting two guides together to
> make a MW stripper is very 'custom' and very
> handsome. Works wonderfully and allows you to do
> custom inlay. And when you are done and it all
> works perfectly. You realize and take pride that

> it is one more thing on that fishing stick that
> was NOT made/done by a machine!

I'll have to say that the two guides you used were stamped by a machine.

Date: April 03, 2015 06:44PM

wow lol

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 06:44PM

Swampland, and just how are all the others made? By hand?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2015 06:56PM

For those opposed to the MicroWave guide due to guide set cost reasons, here is another way to look at this - consider that the MicroWave guide costs what it costs, and the running guides are included for free. If you decide not to use them for whatever reason, they didn't cost you anything.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 03, 2015 06:59PM

Thank you Larry! Custom rod building is a wonderfully creative venture. Fish don't split hairs as much as many of the 'boot-step/ $ is king' builders do!

Date: April 03, 2015 07:44PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] im confused about this.special purpose?

Date: April 03, 2015 07:48PM

I cant figure out how to load images. to photo section. lol

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 08:21PM

Almost finished my second personal build with the MW, the stripper may look funny, but the only thing I notice when fishing is the smoother and longer casts.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster