I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod builder question- first two piece build
Posted by: Tom DiBiasio (---.prvdri.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 08:11PM

Last month I completed my first rod build - an awesome ice rod for jigging crappie. After many hours of planning I purchased all of the components for my first full size rod. The blank I chose was a 2 piece MHX pan fishing blank. Well I received everything today and after unwrapping all the pieces I realized that I never thought about how I was going to build the connection point of the two pieces of the blank...... Do I need to get a ferrule? Do I wrap and finish? I looked all over online and can not seem to find any instructions on this.

I am very sorry for the basic question but I guess all of you were newbee's at one time too!!!

One more question - I purchased a set of Winn grips and a mudhole project x reel seat for this rod. The grips are back ordered so they did not come yet, but I got to wondering if I purchased the right size reel seat for these grips? I purchased a size 16 seat, but now I am worried it is two small for the grip tenon? Is there a reliable way to figure this out before ordering components?

Thanks in advance for the guidance

TomD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod builder question- first two piece build
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 12, 2015 09:25PM

On modern multi-piece rod blanks, the ferrule is built in. In earlier times, you purchased a metal ferrule which led to a stiff spot on the blank. The built in ferrules are made from the same kind of materials as the rod blank itself.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 12:17AM

Tom
To answer some of you questions , first as Michael said you don't need a ferrule it us built into the rod. You do, however, need to wrap the female end. As a basic rule you wrap back at a distance of 1 1/2 times the opening of the ferrule. You can go further but it would be only for looks not strength. It is important to start your wrap as close to the end as you can get it. Make a few wraps and push them towards the end.

On the grips, the Winn comes in a couple of sizes. You didn't mention which one you have but hopefully it is a 1.08. On spinning rods I usually trim the tenon off anyway. You can sand the tenon down to fit too but there won't be much left. The 16 mm is a good choice for a panfish Rod too. When you arbor the reel seat it will match up to the grip nicely..

Tom

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 06:39PM

When putting epoxy on the threads of the female end, be careful NOT to get epoxy inside of the ferrule.

If you want, you can ask me how I know. But, I prefer if you don`t.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 13, 2015 06:40PM

When putting epoxy on the threads of the female end, be careful NOT to get epoxy inside of the ferrule.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: March 13, 2015 06:40PM

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 01:15AM

the wrap should be out to the end of the ferrow but if it was the wraps will be falling off all the time 1/32 to 1/16 inch back will work just fine , dont get the flex coat in the hole ,
use a filler of some sort the frist time to find out how it goes , DA & Q tip will clean it out if you do mess up just an Idea

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 14, 2015 01:15AM

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 01:17AM by william G Sidney.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 02:07AM

It's a basic question and don't feel bad for asking. as others have said, but probably more accurately stated, the connection method is designed into the blank these days. blanks are designed often with tip over butt ferrules, as one example. the ends just slip into each other. another method is called a spigot ferrule. either way, you don't need to buy a separate ferrule unless you're creating a bamboo blank or something otherwise unusual.

and as tom said, extend the ferrule wrap 1.5 times the diameter of the ferrule opening. this is approximate but from years of reading forums like this, whenever people go longer, say 2x, they realize it's too long, it just doesn't look right.

congrats on finishing your first rod. the hours of planning this second is part of the fun! :) keep in mind for the third rod... if you buy from the list of sponsors to the left, or even others who specialize selling components for rod building, feel free to chat them up and ask for suggestions. outline what you are doing. in my experience, each has been very friendly and accommodating in sharing advice for finding the best combination of components for your project. and obviously, come back here for more questions.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster