I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank question
Posted by: David Bourque (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 05:14PM

I recently built a MB844 mhx for a guy. Today he called me to say he likes the action of the rod but would like one with a stiffer tip. I have several blanks in the same ballpark but the tips or all the same. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 09:01PM

If it has a stiffer tip it won't have the same action. If I were you I would talk to him at length and very specifically about what he likes about the action and why he wants a stiffer tip. (which will change the action that he likes).

Take a look at the MB 905 which is longer and heavier but still a mag action. If your conversation indicates that the 905 might be close to what he wants, get one, tape some guides and grip on it and cast with it. Then move the grip up 6 inches and re-evaluate trying to keep the extra 6 inches of butt out of the way. If he likes the latter, cut it off 6 inches and build him his rod.

Re: blank question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 01:17AM

David,
Normally, if one likes a blank and its action, one can trim a bit of the tip to make the tip stiffer. One just needs to start from the tip and basically bend the rod tip gently with your finger. Then, gradually work down the blank, 1/16th of an inch at a time, until you find the spot where the tip is of sufficient stiffness to satisfy the needs of the user. Very often, one can trim only 1/4 inch off a tip and significantly change the stiffness of the tip. Seldom does one ever have to trim more than one inch off the tip to very significantly change the action of the tip.

I have frequently done this on a wide variety of rods, where the rod was perfect except that the tip was just a touch too soft.

You can also use a caliper to take blank size measurements starting from the tip back for 2 or 3 inches.

However, do any of these things with great caution. One way to find out if you really want to trim a tip or not, is to use a small regular guide to tie on a temporary tip to the rod at the proposed trim point. Then, take the rod out and fish it and see if it gives you what you want. If not, you can take off that guide and move it as needed and try it again - all without trimming the blank. If you do indeed find that a tip location difference gives you the rod that you want, then go ahead, mark the spot, trim the tip and put a tip top on the rod at that point. By this time you will have determined that you have the exact correct point for trimming. If, however, you find that any shorter tip top location makes the rod worse for your needs, just put the tip on in the original position and go use the rod.

Notice, I said to FISH with the rod. Don't just go out and cast it or reel line in and out with the rod. Some of these tip changes that one might want to do, really only show up when you actually have a fish on the end of the line, or when you are attempting to feel a very light bite with the rod.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 01:18AM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster