I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MudHole custom handle kits
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2015 04:43PM

Has anyone used these before? They look pretty nice, but on the very limited experience I have in this craft, I haven't pieced a handle together on a tube and glued the whole thing to the blank...Should I just stick to traditional methods or are these worth the price?

The blank I'm planning on using is their CRB value E-glass 7' 15-25 lbs model. Any experience with those is welcome as well.

Currently planning on this being a boat/barracuda rod on the west coast, but possibly fishing from shore on the east/gulf coast in the future. Have used similar Ugly Sticks for shore fishing with good success in the past.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MudHole custom handle kits
Date: January 04, 2015 04:46PM

Oh, here's the link to the handles: [www.mudhole.com]

Date: January 04, 2015 04:46PM

Oh, here's the link to the handles: [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2015 06:05PM

I think these are a lot nicer And you should be able to mix and match parts
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 06:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2015 06:36PM

Are the ones in the 2nd link assembled or just loose parts?

Date: January 04, 2015 06:40PM

I think they are just loose parts. I'll be ordering the blank as well so I don't have it available to measure for winding checks and such. That's why I like the idea of the kits I posted about. I don't know about installing them and how they look installed though.

Posted by: Kevin Boonstra (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2015 06:44PM

I have built quite a few on that model blank. I don't think those grip kits will fit that blank unless they have a size 20 reel seat. They are good blanks for the price you can't beat them.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2015 09:31PM

. the crb e-glass blanks are a nice blank for the money I built some boat rods with them.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2015 11:21PM

The reel seats in the kit are size 17.
The tube is size 16.
If the blank your using has an OD of more than 16mm you are out of luck.

Date: January 05, 2015 01:35AM

Yeah, thanks for the heads up on that. It looks like many of my options are limited due to the size. I Wish I could at least measure the rod for one of the colored winding checks. I'm making a college theme rod for my school. I'll call mud hole tomorrow and see if they can help with that. Thanks for the help guys!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 05, 2015 07:56AM

If you tell them where you want the winding check to be located they will size it for you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2015 09:27AM

Like Chester said They will try things on a blank Just give them say from the butt where you want it to sit
Winding checks should be Not a tight fit get them .5 larger and put a wrap of thread under It is said you can get a failure if to tight on the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 06, 2015 12:22AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like Chester said They will try things on a blank
> Just give them say from the butt where you want it
> to sit
> Winding checks should be Not a tight fit get them
> .5 larger and put a wrap of thread under It is
> said you can get a failure if to tight on the
> blank

Yeah, will definitely keep that in mind. Man these forums are great. I bet the learning curve was much slower before the days of the internet. I guess if you had someone to teach you not so much, but for guys like me just picking up a new hobby with no one I know to go to. What a great community. Thanks guys!

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2015 07:05AM

I have used the CRB handles a few times. They work great for converting an existing full handled rod to split grip. When building from scratch I cut down the tube and mount the seat with arbors, using the bottom half as intended. The spinning handle when finished look very nice and are very comfortable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster