I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Drying, how long?
Posted by: John Menken (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2014 11:39AM

Happy New Year everyone,
After sanding and reaming my cork I wash it off with Simple green and a soft tooth brush then rinse it with fresh water.
How long do I wait to use the cork? It's been a couple days so far.
Many thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Drying, how long?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2014 12:03PM

A couple of days would be fine.
But I have to ask, why wash it?

After I ream and sand the cork, I use high pressure air to blow off the cork dust and go ahead and glue it up.

After everything is shaped and finished on the handle I will then clean it up.

But certainly a couple of days in a warm place would be completely adequate for the drying.
In particular, this would be fine if you use a wood glue like Titebond III for gluing the cork. Since the Titebond is a water based glue, a bit of moisture on the cork won't hurt anything.

Be safe

p.s.
Certainly the use of simple green and a tooth brush is a great solution for cleaning finished grips. I use these two items for any rods that come in for repair. Most of the time the grips are well soiled from the use that the rod has seen. A few minutes in the wash tub with simple green and a tooth brush and the grip will look like new. If pit filler happens to get washed out during the process, I just refill any large pits with Elmers light oak wood filler and sand as needed to match the grip. Easy and nice cleanup of any cork handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 12:06PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2014 05:30PM

Since cork is a impermeable and buoyant material, which means it is non-absorbant you should be able to wipe it dry and use it immediately. I do sometimes wet sand mine ahen rinse with water, dry with a towell and it is ready for use.

Ron Weber

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 08:41AM

After shapping I while on the lath take a soft brush and run it over to get rid of dust If you want cleaner whipe with a damp paper towel or cloth Then glue onto the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: December 30, 2014 10:49AM

I think there may be some confusion over the advise of cleaning up an old cork grip versus a new one. Washing with soap is a method for cleaning up an old grip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 12:07PM

Sam,
In the original post, John was speaking of new cork that he appears to be washing.

As Bill pointed out, I clean the turned grip while the grip is still on the lathe. With the grip spinning, I just hit the cork with high pressure compressed air to blow out any dust or other junk. If there happens to be some loose filler in the cork that gets blown out, it will be taken care of, when the cork is filled if it is necessary.

With today's cork, it seems that more and more cork is necessary to fill for a reasonable appearance.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster