I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ultralight blank help needed
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 09:31AM

To all, I have a customer who is wanting a true "buggy whip" action ultralight spinning rod capable of throwing 1/32oz lures. His requests were that it be between 7.5-8 ft and a 2 piece blank. He and I have both entertained the idea of building on a 0 or 1 wt full flex fly blank. I built a 7'7" Phenix mirage blank for him that he loves, but his 2 drawbacks are that it is hard to transport (which we talked about before the build) and that he would rather have something even more "whippy". If we are unable to find something more full flex in that length I do have the "go-ahead" to build a 2 piece Phenix Mirage. But I'm hoping someone out there has had a similar build. So, any help pointing me in the right direction on these would be greatly appreciated
1. Any suggestions on a full flex glass ultralight blank 7.5-8 ft in length
2. Suggestions on a full flex graphite blank in that length
3. Suggestions on manufacturers who build a 2 piece fly blank in "0wt" or "1wt" in that length that are also full flex ( I know Sage makes the TXL-F series but its listed as "mod-fast")

Again, thank you in advance for your input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ultralight blank help needed
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2014 01:41PM

Jared,
the S871-2-MHX will fill your needs but only comes in at 7'3". I think this will be more along the line of what you are looking for.
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 01:56PM

Jared,
I think that if you check, virtually any of the rods that are marked ultra light will be pretty close to what you need.

The old stand by that was called a "spinning" rod blank pretty well fills the bill.

These are typically moderate action with plenty of flex and fully capable of tossing these light lures.

You use the word "glass" in your specifications. Rather than glass, I suspect that any of the reasonable graphite ultra light spinning blanks will meet your needs.

Batson has come out with new lines of blanks this year which are wonderful blanks. You can check their catalog and pick out the one that best meets your needs.

For example the SP840.

Certainly for this type rod, there is not a need to have to pay a lot of money to get excellent action and a great value.

Be safe

Date: November 04, 2014 04:37PM

Todd, thanks for the info. I look at the catalog over and over and missed the fact that your 871-2 blank is listed as a "mod" action. I have built quite a few of your Ultralight blanks and l like them a lot (building up 4 presently for Christmas presents). The length might be an issue, but will consult him to see what he thinks. I know the other blanks (most recently the SP781) that I've built have far too much backbone for what he is wanting (think noodle rod). If its too stiff, I know I can build it up and sell it at the next outdoor show.

Roger, thank you for the reply as well. I like the popping rods that Batson makes and use them a lot for lipless crankbaits and for people who are wanting a "general purpose" rod as a gift, but have no idea what to get. Haven't built the SP840 but have built a few 841's and 842's, I just don't think these are "limber" enough even in the lighter weights, however I would be willing to buy a blank and compare the actions (if it's too stiff maybe I can make it a "crappie crankbait" rod for myself). Although I understand an ultralight rod doesn't need to be a huge investment, he does know what he's looking for and isn't afraid to pay 2-3 times what a typical ultralight build might cost. If I can save him some money, I would love to do just that (he is a fantastic customer) that's why I was trying to steer away from the Sage blanks. I'm sure I can find something more reasonable than that to make a bluegill rod. Ha ha

Like I said, I built a Phenix Mirage for him that was 7'7". I used a heavier guide train just to "soften" that particular blank to his liking. It was super flimsy to begin with. He is very particular and all of the blanks or completed rods that he has held and tested were too "stiff" for his liking, except this Phenix and he would like something even more like a noodle rod. That's why I was considering a fly rod blank. I read while searching of taking the butt section off a fly blank to make it slower... Maybe I could find a 3 or 4 piece 2 weight, drop the butt section and end up in my length range??? Any takers?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 05:35PM

I think you are all stuck on spinning blanks because he wants to "spin" with it, but what he really would like is a fly blank. I suggest you find a 2-3 weight fly blank with traditional action and tape a spin reel onto it , use very light line so it will go through the guides fairly well, and show it to him. Let him cast it.

I have a 3 wt Amtak that is a great ultra light spinning blank. It happens to be 7 1/2 feet, if I remember right, but it's a great rod as long as you don't expect it to have real backbone, like a spinning blank.

I would go further and suggest a 4 piece blank, since he has expressed interest in easy transport. He may not even know that 4 piece blanks are available and have really nice actions.

Date: November 04, 2014 05:55PM

Michael, I think you are spot on. The Phenix blank I built was a 1 piece (his choice) I think he is wanting to go to a 2 piece out of necessity, but talking him into more pieces than that would be darn near impossible. I really do think that he is wanting a fly blank. But the thing is he wants the lightest, slowest blank he can get his paws on. I know a lot of the blank companies won't warranty a spinning rod built on a fly blank and he is aware of this, and willing to do without if that's the path we take on the build.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 06:16PM

I would choose a 2-3 wt. fly rod blank for this rod. I agree with Mr Danek. I have made many such rods, and not only no complaints but have gotten a number of referrals from people who tried one.

Date: November 04, 2014 06:21PM

Look for closeouts on two piece fly blanks; the business is moving toward 4 piece and you may find some very nice blanks for very little money.

Posted by: Razvan Matei (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: November 04, 2014 06:35PM

If I am not wrong, Bill Byrd used to like the older version of an orvis full flex 7ft 6in, - the superfine 1wt. But why break the bank? Dorber F933/3 has nice stats. Still, contact them and ask for an ultraweave fly rod blank. It might not be as light as a CTS Vintage, DanCraft 0wt, as legendary as the above mentioned Orvis, as colored as a StCroix 3F762.4, etc, but it bends more.

Date: November 04, 2014 06:38PM

Randolph and Michael thanks to both of you.
Randolph, do you have any preferences on a full flex blank in that 2 wt range? I see both the Orvis superfine and maybe the TFO finesse are reasonable on cost. Or do you think it's even necessary to build on a "slower" blank? I know I should probably stay away from the fast or x-fast blanks as they are commonly a heavier line weight
Michael, I am a bargain basement shopper and sometimes guilty of buying something just because its on sale... I've been known to buy a certain reel seat because it was a good deal only to have it sit until I pick out the "right" blank. Again appreciate the info!

Date: November 04, 2014 06:42PM

Razvan, not familiar with the Dorber blanks. But you have definitely peaked my interest. Do you know if any of our sponsors carry them?

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 04, 2014 08:01PM

Jared,
Found a couple that may fit
Orvis Helios II 8'4" 2 weight rated a low mid flex
Sage Circa 7'9" 2 weight Should be "spot on"
A 2 weight will cast down to 1/48 oz fairly easily
Both are 4-piece blanks but a few drops of super glue will handle that problem

Gene

Date: November 04, 2014 08:42PM

Thank you, Gene. I would like to present him with as many options as possible. (And would love to get my hand on one of the Helios 2 blanks that everyone seems to be loving) Appreciate the help.

Posted by: ray balmforth (202.167.15.---)
Date: November 05, 2014 01:52AM

G'day Jared

You might want to look at a St Croix 5S7OULM2-G.I have built one for myself and found it to be to noodley for myself.Might be what your client needs.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Date: November 05, 2014 07:35AM

Thank you, Ray. I will check the stats on that blank, might be a little short for what he's wanting, but definitely an option.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 10:37AM

You might also check the Lamiglas line of fly blanks. The FL904, even though rated for a 4 wt line would be definitely the action you are looking for and would throw light lures well. The 904 is 7'9", 2-piece and would fit your requirements, I think.

I agree with your customer that many of the ultra lite spinning blanks are too short and too fast for my liking and much prefer the slower action that glass fly rods provide and have used these for spinning rods for some time.

Good luck on your project!

Terry

Date: November 05, 2014 10:57AM

Thanks, Terry. I had purposefully overlooked the Lami blanks because of the line rating. I should've thought that through a little better. The glass a lot of times will throw multiple line weights at different distances. I have seen your name on here a few times before and it makes me smile. Had a teacher in high school named Terry Turner who was a huntin', fishin' fool. I always enjoyed talking outdoors with him.

If you're the same Terry Turner I am thinking of and you're still in the Anderson area we need to get together!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 11:03AM by Jared Taylor.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 11:13AM

Message sent Jared.

Terry

Date: November 05, 2014 11:32AM

Message received and replied to, Terry

Jared

Date: November 05, 2014 05:01PM

I just have to comment one more time - tried not to, but cannot resist. I don't know your incentives or the importance your customer puts on the name on the blank, but I find it very doubtful that anyone could tell the difference between a $300 fly blank and a $52.00 fly blank when it's built into a spinning rod. Other than the obvious parameter of the weight of glass relative to a decent graphite blank. For example, the Amtak 7' 9" 3 wt Matrix blank only weighs 1.2 oz and costs only $52.00. I would think that for a guy looking for a sloppy action rod, a very expensive big name blank would be a big waste of money. OK, I'm done.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster