I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxies and allergies
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.computime.com.mt)
Date: November 04, 2014 10:19AM

Hi all,

I am a beginner going through my first build ... I am enjoying every bit of it and taking it step by step, doing various 'tests' on scrap blanks before replicating on the real blank and so far I am very pleased. Regarding epoxies I was concerned with some threads in this forum about toxicity and allergies but I don't think the subject was picked up again in recent times. I have used Pro Paste and Pro Kote on several occasions so far and I don't seem to have any problem with allergies. I use latex gloves but no respirator. Do you think I should start using respirator ? As far as I understood there is no real issue with vapors, it's more about avoiding skin contact. Also any idea whether modern epoxies are less harmful or not ? I still believe that manufacturers should provide data sheets for rod building products!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxies and allergies
Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: November 04, 2014 10:39AM

send an email to support@proproducts.us and ask for the MSDS sheet. They should have that information.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 10:41AM

I believe if you ask most suppliers will provide you with a Material Data Sheet.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 11:38AM

Alistair,
There can be allergies by some folks to virtually everything. Especially as one gets older and one subjects ones body to more and more things, sometimes the body finally says , "all right already - no more".

So, although a person may not be allergic to much of anything at some point in their life, over time allergies of all type can develop.

So, certainly your are right to be cautious.

Having said that, most folks have no allergies to most of the epoxies that are used in rod building.

But, certainly, if one works with some of the more active solvents there can certainly be some very allergic or severe reactions.

Again, generally speaking folks aren't allergic or have issues with the widely used denatured alcohol for a cleaning solvent.

But, when you talk about the very quick evaporating solvents like acetone or Xylene, one has to be very very cautious and only use either of these solvents with lots of ventilation and fans and good re breathing equipment.

As other folks have posted - read the MSDS sheet for any material that you may use in any activity. Then, follow any recommendations that you find on these information sheets.

But, yes, certainly it is better to be too cautious than not cautious enough. You only have one body, one layer of skin, one set of lungs, one pair of kidneys, and one brain.

Good luck and stay safe.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 04, 2014 12:22PM

Playing with bigtime liability risks if you know your MSDS spells out harmful vapors if inhaled but your labeling on the bottle doesnt mention it.

I have to hope manufactures are smarter than that.

Date: November 05, 2014 04:29AM

Thanks guys. Maybe using a respirator is a little bit of an overkill, given that I only use 'normal' epoxies (not solvents).

Date: November 05, 2014 10:40AM

Alistair,
As stated earlier, for most folks and most epoxies, neither gloves or a respirator is necessary.

Simply put, for most folks and most methods of both mixing and application, the epoxy never touches your skin.

I use squeeze tubes or syringes for measuring the epoxy and use a craft stick for mixing. I use plenty of paper towel to clean the mixing sticks so I never have any epoxy on my hands or touch my skin.

But be ever on the watch. Just because you are not allergic to a particular material one day, does not mean that your body can not become sensitized to that material on a different day after prolonged use. Just listen and watch your body and take care of it.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 11:09AM

Roger's discussion was pretty spot on. If you are only going to build a few rods a year, the vast majority of builders have zero problems with epoxy reactions. There are some that have sensitivity to amines and need to take extra precautions.

If you build a lot of rods and always have some epoxy curing in the shop, extra ventilation is always a good idea. Using latex gloves keeps it off your skin and makes hand clean up easier without washing up with DNA.

Stay away from Acetone as your solvent and you should be fine without a respirator. Take some precautions about ventilation in your rod building space if needed.

Terry

Date: November 05, 2014 02:44PM

Alister,
By the way, the reason that I speak on this subject is because of my current situation with allergies.

As it says in the good book, when I was a child I was free of any sort of allergies.

But over the years, after subjecting my body to all sorts of conditions in work and helping others, I have been exposed to the gamut of what the environment can offer a person.

As a result, years later, I am currently allergic to many things that never bothered me at all when younger.

So, listen to your body. If your body reacts in an unusual way after doing a particular activity, or exposing your body to a particular environment, respect your body and take appropriate action.

Be safe

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: November 05, 2014 08:57PM

I developed a sensitivity to amines in my second full time season of building rods. It was mostly due to stupid, careless shop practices. Leaving cleaning cloths with epoxy on them piled under the bench, tossing solvent soaked rags on top. Poor ventilation, careless about getting epoxy/solvent on hands, etc.... All these things added up to a couple trips to the emergency room looking like I had smallpox.

I no longer have any issues due to drastically improved shop practices.

Date: November 06, 2014 01:07AM

Tony,
You raise a really good point about cleaning rags left with solvent on them in the rod shop.

I made the same mistake once. Never again.

If I do have to use a strong solvent, and use a paper towel or rag as part of the process, I take the disposed rangs or towels, directly out of the shop and drop them into the outside garbage can to insure that no fumes are left in the shop.

Great advice.

p.s.
I used to paint airplanes and used two part epoxy paints for the process. Over time, my body became very sensitized to the hardener used with the epoxy paint. Even with very careful use and ventilation, I would get violently sick and would be bed ridden for several days after any use of this style paint. So, the painting was delegated to others and I have never ever used the product again. The body knows - listen to it.

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: November 06, 2014 04:06PM

I stupidly thought that by just dropping the rags on the floor under the bench, they would cure out and could be dicarded later at my leisure. Well, that is all fine and good, except that you then drop more solvent, more epoxy and the whole thing becomes a giant cesspool of unhealthy crud at your feet. The second trip to the E room was about a week after the first. I just went in the shop to clean up the mess. Wore gloves, but still just the exposure sent me back again for more steroid injections. Since changing practices, I have had no further issues.

Date: November 07, 2014 11:35AM

Thanks again guys ... very educational thread. I managed to get the MSDS for ProKote - the guys over there were very helpful and answered clearly all my questions !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster