I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snakes Vs. Ceramics
Posted by: jim gerst (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 08, 2014 02:24PM

I'm getting ready to build a Batson RX7 8 wt. 13 foot 3-inch four piece spey Rod (1338). I plan to use the rod in both fresh and saltwater. I'm thinking about using All titanium frame ceramic guides.I've read numerous reports posted over the years giving the pros and cons for snakes versus ceramic. Most of what I've read seems to revolve around personal preference. One post acknowledged his astonishment of greater distance with his first casts with ceramics versus his rods snakes. One post expressed concern that single foot ceramics would not be able to withstand the same amount of use that a double foot snake could handle. I guess my real question here is do we have any definitive information on snakes versus ceramics? Does anyone know if any manufacturers has tested the two side by side or have any of you used both enough to render an unbiased observation. I would really appreciate your Personal input.

I'm hoping for some lively conversation on this topic.

Thank you for your input and willingness to share your knowledge.

Jim G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snakes Vs. Ceramics
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2014 03:29PM

I seriously question whether ceramics will result in greater casting distance - I never found that to be the case. There just isn't that much friction between the line and the rings to make any practical difference between ceramics and snake guides. Ceramics aren't at all fragile, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ceramics will be "quieter" and will pay out line more smoothly when under pressure from a fish. On a rod of that length, however, you'll also want to consider which guide set will result in the least amount of weight being added to the rod. Single foot titanium ceramics, or double footed snake guides. You'd have to weigh them to be sure.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2014 07:08PM

Another guide to consider is the Pac Bay Minima -- 4's not 3's

Plus consider that Snake guides have two feet Two more thread wraps More weight On a 13 ft rod consider the weight of twice the thread and finish
Another is the single foot wire guides
Also Recoil guides
if you trust St Croix they put single foot wire guides on there's or at least they used too

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2014 07:20PM

You do not need ceramics with a fly line, as there is no issue of wear. Most mfg formulas use double foot snake guides, however I personally think that is based upon tradition, not necessarily practicality. On the Spey and Switch rods I build, I use single foots everywhere but the stripper. I use both s/f wire and s/f Minima's depending upon the customers preference. No noticeable casting length differences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 08:27PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: jim gerst (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 09, 2014 08:46AM

Looks like we pretty much eliminated 2 foot snake guides due to weight. I agree with Phil in that sometimes I think we do things just out of tradition without questioning the real outcome. I would assume that single foot wires weigh less than single foot titanium ceramics? I'll have to check out this Minima Bill suggested. Sounds like were down to single foot some things? What would you make your deciding factor be, weight, strength, a combination of both?

Date: July 09, 2014 09:20AM

Guides don't need to be any stronger than the rod. And rarely is a fish going to damage a guide. That sort of thing happens due to fisherman abuse, accident, etc. Less weight is always a winner, as long as the product will do what you want it to do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 04:07PM

Jim,
I would not bet that the double footed snake guides will result in any more weight than the single foot guides. Snake guides simply do not weigh very much.

There might be a gram or two difference in weight, but I doubt that you would feel the difference when casting.

Be safe

Date: July 09, 2014 04:36PM

On a 13' rod
Got to figure Even cutting it down too maybe 11 guides
The rod is already Tip heavy

So even at 11 guides That means 22 Extra guide wraps plus even one GOOD coat of light finish
And of course there will be Boo Boo's so ya sand and recoat

I read posts here of builders trying to get EVERY little amount of weight off there rod ???

Never tried it but I would think a Snake guide - Rebent - would equil a single foot wire guide So we shoud be talking just thread wrap weight ????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 04:46PM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 09, 2014 08:32PM

My deciding factor is weight. The additional weight of having two wraps per guide on double feet is not insignificant, even if the guide itself is light!

I personally like Minima's on my rods, but some of my customers much prefer the appearance of wire guides.It is extremely rare for me to build anymore fly rods with double feet.

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: July 09, 2014 09:43PM

So if I understand this, it would make more sense on a 9' 8 wt. 4 pc fly rod that I'm building , to use single foot guides of some sort. There for reducing the overall weight
since I am gonna have more wraps due to the wraps at the ferrules. Or am I wrong?

Thanks
Mark

Date: July 09, 2014 09:55PM

Reducing the number of wraps does reduce the weight - you're cutting the amount of thread and finish (most of the weight is in the finish if you use epoxy). But if the guides aren't equally light, you just be adding that weight right back with a heavier guide.

Date: July 09, 2014 11:52PM

I assume you will have the ferrule wraps regardless of the guides you use.

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: July 10, 2014 05:50AM

Correct sir.

Mark

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2014 10:02AM

As I said earlier, if you use snake guides, it is doubtful that the finished rod will be little different than if you used single foot guides.
But certainly the snake guides are a much tougher guide that will take beating through the brush much better than a single foot guide.

Be safe

Date: July 12, 2014 10:10AM

In that case take a look at Recoil guides Flexible for the bush

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 12, 2014 10:29AM

On a spey rod I doubt there is much significance of the weight of thread and finish using double foot snake guides when the line you are casting weighs in at around 500 grains. Balance is not really an issue when the grip is 14" plus a 4" reel seat and a 4" rear grip. I find that shooting head connections pass through snake guides better than single foot guides when you're trying to bring the fish in, and they're more durable in the drift boat, in the truck, on the trail because they don't snag on stuff as easily. Icing in freezing weather is a consideration too.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2014 10:46AM

I 100% agree with Greg. It's all about performance and where your going with this equipment and how you treat your equipment. In my experience if you hand a blindfolded person a 13'2" 7wt with snake guides then give him the same rod with single foots he or she will notice no difference at all. Casting distance all depends on your ability to adjust to the rod your throwing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster