I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is Reel Seat Salvage Possible or Worth the Effort?
Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: June 30, 2014 02:19PM

Good afternoon all, first post here.

I started rod building this winter, figured it would be a good hobby when I wasn't out fishing, and I was right. It's addictive.

This weekend I was out with wife and daughter and came back with two broken rods - inexpensive Shakespeare and BassPro models, nothing I built thank goodness. I'll spare you the long story on how they were broken while everything was being put away.

Before tossing anything, I decided to remove the guides so I'd have two extra sets around. Then I took a look at the reel seats and I'm wondering if anyone knows of an effective way to salvage those also, or is the epoxy bond truly everlasting?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Reel Seat Salvage Possible or Worth the Effort?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2014 02:37PM

Try a heat gun to loosen the grip of the epoxy and an oven mitt to twist and pull the seat off, assuming that you have removed the cork first.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2014 05:50PM

unless they are exposed blank seats, so of those rod actually have a cardboard tube as a spacer between blank and seat, and its worth cut blank at front of seat. and back boil in water fro a while to allow water to start penetrating into the cardboard and set aside for couple of days. then should be able to take screw driver and force blank out. if not cardboard spacers it may not work, but costs nothing but little time water and electric to try

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.226.---)
Date: June 30, 2014 06:00PM

I would not even try to salvage them. New ones can be very inexpensive, and they are new. If those seats have plastic "hoods" to tighten the reel to the seat, they are going to fail some day, so just go new and you will have no doubts about the integrity.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2014 08:46PM

X10 -
Pitch everything and start new.

Generally speaking it is not even worth it to save the guides on these rods.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 01, 2014 12:11PM

Drew

If you have a junk box I would save the guides just in case you or someone would need a guide replaced and if you are lucky you may have a guide that matches. Thr reel seats are not worth saving.

Posted by: Drew Klein (74.10.173.---)
Date: July 01, 2014 12:33PM

Thanks everyone. My brother in law beats the heck out of his rods and has already asked me to replace a guide or two, so they'll be handy for that. I'm leaning towards not trying to salvage the seats, but I have been looking for a reason to but a heat gun...

Thanks all!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2014 11:09PM

Here is a rather inexpensive heat gun if you are looking . I have been using mine for years they work great. And they are on sale.

[t.harborfreight.com]

Tom

Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2014 08:59PM

Broken Rods: I removed guides and Tip Top and thats all. However if the blank was not broken, remove the reel seats, I just use a dremel tool to remove it. Remove foregrip, handle and guides. And install new everything, based on condition of blank!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster