I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Newbie with questions
Posted by: Kent Tawes (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2014 11:01AM

Been lurking for a few weeks as I gathered materials for my new hobby. I must say, this is the most helpful, congenial forum I have ever read. Everyone is polite and informative. I hope to learn enough about custom rod building to make a positive contribution one of these days. Until then I will USE all the secrets you are willing to part with!

I just finished my first project, CRB 6' spinning rod using Flexcoat and Prowrap Colorfast thread. As far as the build goes I'll rate it as fair for my first try. Need to pay a little more attention to the details and learn a few more techniques to make the details better.

Question is... Why can I see the guide feet through the wrap? It looks as if the finish turned the thread translucent. To me it looks awful since the blank and guides are black and I filed down the feet for a better fit and they are shinning through.

Materials for my next build are on the way and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Newbie with questions
Posted by: John McCleish (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 11:41AM

Sounds like you did not use color preserver on the guide wraps. When you don't use CP the wraps do exactly that which is desired on a lot of rods. If you want the thread color to come through, you either use NCP thread or use CP on your regular nylon thread. If you file the guide feet and end up with a shine in some places you need to use CP or color the guide feet back with a sharpie marker or paint. But always test whatever color you are using with a coat of finish to make sure the finish doesn't take it off when you apply it. Hope I explained this so you can understand it.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 11:43AM

I take a permanemt black marker to cover where i filed the feet down and I found out on here to use color preserver on all thread wraps

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 11:47AM

The wrap epoxy coat does make nylon thread somewhat transparent, so the feet will be visible. Three ways of correcting this: 1.) use color preserver on the thread before the epoxy 2.) use NCP thread 3.) after filing the black guides, apply a black sharpie to the bare metal.

Date: June 15, 2014 12:11PM

Thanks for the replies.
I ordered (checked the invoice) Prowrap COLORFAFT Assortment of thread. Mudhole PWCFA-AST No color preserver needed right?
Do the spools actually say "colorfast" nylon?
I'm wondering if i received the wrong thread. Is there a way to tell the difference between Colorfast and regular nylon visually?

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: June 15, 2014 12:25PM

Label will say colorfast.
The colorfast will have a red label while the regular nylon will have a blue label

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:28PM by Rolly Beenen.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 12:55PM

Kent Tawes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm wondering if i received the wrong thread. Is
> there a way to tell the difference between
> Colorfast and regular nylon visually?

Colorfast is a name chosen by American Tackle, The original name by Gudebrod was NCP.

NCP has a dull almost chalk appearance and the thread lacks sheen.

For a side by side visual comparison, you can go to our home page ( www.makoithread.com ) and click on the the button on the right labeled Go To - Color Matching Tool.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 01:01PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wrap epoxy coat does make nylon thread
> somewhat transparent, so the feet will be visible.
> Three ways of correcting this: 1.) use color
> preserver on the thread before the epoxy 2.) use
> NCP thread 3.) after filing the black guides,
> apply a black sharpie to the bare metal.

For a little extra bling, you can over wrap the guide feet with metallic thread prior to overwrapping with nylon.

Don

Don Becker

Date: June 15, 2014 01:21PM

Thanks Rolly

Blue labels - Mystery solved.

Don - I like the idea of nylon wrap over metallic, thanks! Sounds like the look I'm chasing... Elegant bling without being gaudy.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: June 15, 2014 02:02PM

IF you have recieved the wrong thread call Mudhole and explain your situatiion and the invoice number and I am certain they will do good by you.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.sub-70-196-198.myvzw.com)
Date: June 15, 2014 03:17PM

I don't use color preserver on threads securing guides - as I prefer to have one type of finish (usually epoxy) penetrating uniformly all the way down to the blank. Another thing you could do with the black footed guides is only file them on the bottom of the guide foot. This often takes a great deal of time and effort, but if you're careful, will result in a well-prepped guide foot with uniform coloring. Adding color preserver to a painted or marker-colored guide foot usually adds a little bulk to the tapered foot, defeating the purpose of having tapered it to begin with.

Posted by: Steven Tekulsky (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 15, 2014 10:51PM

I find that when I use black sharpie over filed down guide feet, it comes off as soon as I handle it or start to wrap over it. I have let it dry overnight, applied Sally Hansen clear over it, but still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Posted by: Doug Chadwick (---.sub-72-106-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 16, 2014 01:41PM

I have used black nail polish it will stay on even while handling guide

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 05:03PM

Hello,

Regarding painting the guide feet, I like to use Rustoleum spray enamel followed by a couple coats of clear--thin coats work great.
I don't use sharpie-type markers anymore after I found out some of the ingredients in the ink can be corrosive to metal, especially chloride.

-chad

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 17, 2014 07:51PM

I wouldn't use a sharpie to re-color the ground off area on the guide feet. It may bleed back through the thread and make a dark spot on your wrap (no need to ask how I know this). I use black model paint / black nail polish / gun black paint pen. I have also heard that the sharpie ink contains some type of acid that may also affect the thread over a period of time.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster