I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 Wt Rod for Bone Fish
Posted by: Craig Lund (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 10:41AM

A friend has asked me to build a 10 Wt rod for bone fishing, would appreciate guidance from members that have built rods for this application and recommendations on rod length and blanks. I have used CTS blanks for fresh water rods and have been very pleased - open to suggestions I hear good things about Dan Craft- needs to be a four piece rod for travel purposes. My friend is looking for distance and the ability to penetrate the wind more effectively. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 Wt Rod for Bone Fish
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 01:20PM

He must be chasing some REALLY big bones. St Croix would be my suggestion. You might want to make sure that he wants a rod that heavy, that's way more than I have ever used for that species.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 03:02PM

I agree that 10wt is too much rod for bones. I built a 10 for bones, had a very experienced fisherman say it is too tiring, too much rod, and he was right. I now use an 8 and find it perfect. My original 8 was damaged so I just built another, a Pac Bay Quickline, and I really love it. It is just a little faster and just a little more powerful than the Rainshadow RX8, (according to my CCS measurements) which is what I built my son, and he likes that one fine also. The Quickline is a really handsome blank, and in my opinion, very reasonably priced. When I get to the other computer I'll post a pic and the CCS numbers. By the way, Pac Bay publishes CCS numbers for the Quickline.

Date: June 13, 2014 03:56PM

Link to photo attached. Other photos are in the photo section under my name. The Quickline CCS was 82 pennies/approx ERN if I'm interpreting the chart right is 9.5, AA + 69

The Rainshadow RX8 was 76 pennies/approx ERN = 9, AA 66. Both were tested as rods, not blanks. Both are very nice rods, but I prefer the Quickline, feels a little more powerful, a little faster, and same or a little less weight. Also, I'm a sucker for gloss black blanks.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 13, 2014 04:33PM

Here is the Pac Bay published CCS data: [www.fishpacbay.com]

Not far off from mine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:07PM

"The Rainshadow RX8 was 76 pennies/approx ERN = 9, AA 66. Both were tested as rods, not blanks. Both are very nice rods, but I prefer the Quickline, feels a little more powerful, a little faster, and same or a little less weight. Also, I'm a sucker for gloss black blanks. "

Which is exactly what the CCS data indicates.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:28PM

10wt for Bones is overkill! As mentioned above an 8wt works extremely well, and when fishing for Bones, there is usually wind.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 06:55PM

Do a Google Search A 8 - 9 wt is recamended

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 08:35PM

Google doesn't fish for bones.. :-)

My personal choice ... 7 weight, 9'6", fast action. An 8 weight is fine, but it isn't necessary AND it makes smaller fish less fun.

What is necessary? A great reel, one with a fabulous drag system. A high quality fly line is important, too. Bones are very wary fish. You need distance, accuracy and stealth.

St Croix has a nice choice, North Fork has another. Both are quality US blanks.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2014 07:46PM

I have made a number of fly rods for bones, snook, and tarpon. One of the features I have put on my rods is a sliding grip of EVA between the foregrip and the first stripper guide. With a short fighting butt and standard casting grip, this can be very useful in fighting a fish of that type. Mark Sosin, when I showed it to him really took to the idea. It was at the '84 AFTMA show. Make a short 4"-5" grip of EVA that is looser than the rod than can slide up and down about 12". When fighting a fish it will grip the blank where ever you wish.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2014 10:44PM

I would stick with a CTS Blank, an Affinity X in either 7 or 8wt. More on the side of the 8wt. CTS blanks are in my opinion the best.

What your friend may really need is some casting lessons. Bones are weary fish and it is going to be windy. Not many anglers are really ready for this and some good old casting lessons will make the trip much more pleasurable.

A 10wt is overkill.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.ncc.abo.bbox.fr)
Date: June 16, 2014 06:22AM

What Bill says. The arm is what counts most, a good 8wt is nice, but good loop shape and line speed is better achieved through instruction.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2014 02:06PM

7 weight in low wind areas, 8 for when it blows. 10 maybe for big permit and small poons but never for bones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster