I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using light threads
Posted by: Ross McKay (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 08:47AM

Hi guys,
When using light coloured threads such as white and yellow on carbon or black blanks is there a way to prime the blank 1st ?
Doing trim bands etc it's no problem but when using these colours for main / longer wraps regardless of how much CP is used it sometimes comes out a little patchy,

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using light threads
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 08:55AM

I would recommend using a color fast thread.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 10:25AM

NCP (color fast thread) or prime the blank with flat white paint under the area you intend to cover with thread.

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 22, 2014 11:11AM

Thanks lads,
I use colour fast for just about all thread work I do, got a 950yds spool of gudebrod in yellow and it did work for a spigot wrap however as soon as it was over a guide the problems started, I did apply cp to the 'tunnel' at each side of the guide feet but still not great,
Ken is there a white paint you would suggest for this ?
95% of the rods I build here in the UK are beach rods and very rarely come in any other colours but black or carbon so I reckon the white paint would be the best idea

Thanks again

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 12:15PM

One trick I use is to paint the blank silver under the area of the wraps. This lets you get the translucent depth of the color with the silver giving it some pop, rather than the flat color of NCP thread.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 12:26PM

maybe it would be easyer to get white blanks or paint the blank white ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 22, 2014 01:28PM

When a color bleeds through from below, part of the color is what shows through the thread itself, but more of the color is what shows through between the top threads.

Bleeding through a thread can be addressed by under-coloring in a similar color as the top thread (paint or NCP underwraps), use of NCP top thread, and/or use of color preserver.

Under-coloring showing through between threads can be addressed by proper thread tension, packing thread tightly against previous threads as you wind, and burnishing the surface of your thread bands once they are packed.

Paying particular attention to all of these factors will improve the brightness and quality of your thread work over dark blanks. With good technique and attention to detail, you can get a true white thread on a dark black blank with no perceptible bleed through.

The same principles can be used with other bright colors and will usually achieve even better results (as the white on black is probably the most challenging).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 07:50PM

It will also help to use D thread NCP and a good coat of CP to be sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2014 08:59PM

Any flat latex paint will work - be careful (test) enamels I've had one brand "bubble up" when the epoxy was applied. --- I like the idea of a silver/metallic paint under but I've never tried it. When I want a lighter color to "pop" I wrap Robison-Anton silver metallic thread as a underwrap;use no CP; no epoxy between the metallic and the overwrap thread - the regular nylon will "candy" and look more like a tint than a thread wrap. Considering that you are building beach rods (what we call surf rods) the weight penalty for the underwrap will be minimal.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 26, 2014 07:38AM

Use silver mirrored Mylar film. It can be applied with spray adhesive. It is fairly quick to do and VERY effective. No bleed through and the colors will explode off the blank. A lifetime supply (2' x 10' roll) will cost about $25.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster