I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod comparison
Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 05:43AM

Hello,
I am a newbie and have a question concerning a couple rods I am looking at for a build. A few opinions would be helpful.

First is a Black Matrix......
Model Length Line Wt Pieces Action Tip Size Butt Dia. Blank Wt.
AMF908-5-B 9' 8 5 pc. Mod-Fast 5 .41 2.2

Next is a St. Croix
Fly, Bass/Salmon/Steelhead/Saltwater, 9' 8 4 4.5 0.385" 2.0

I don't know if I gave enough info but hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject.
Thanks
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod comparison
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 10:41AM

Mark,
Both of these are fine blanks and make good rods.

What are your questions?

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: May 14, 2014 03:58PM

Mark, not a lot of info to go by, it certainly would be helpful if you could tell us how you want to use the finished rod. I don't think your asking us for a direct comparison between the two blanks are you?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 04:28PM

Well, if you are asking me to pick from the two.....st. croix hands down....if money is no object. Of course you don't mention the model number. FWIW mudhole has a nice one on sale. If you need 4 pc take a look at 42F908 4-F. Nine weight, 4 pc, made from a blend of SC 2 and 4. Very nice blank but more rod than I think one would need for bass.....but they do have a 7 weight also:) Heck I use a 5 weight for bass and don't feel under gunned.

If a 2 pc is fine they have a 3F908 2 for like 20 bucks cheaper.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: May 14, 2014 04:33PM

As regards ATC Matrix blanks, I have built a rod on an 8' 4wt 3-piece Black Matrix blank and I absolutely adore it. However this does not mean that all other blanks from the Matrix series are cool (though they may well be!!!). Actually, if you use Green Matrix - it will be just as fine! ;-)))

Date: May 14, 2014 05:46PM

Well thank you all for the help!
As for the St. Croix it is model # 4F908.4 at Get bit outdoors. For $115. I wasn't sure I could post other sites info here.
I have a St. Croix myself and love it, but this is for a customer and they are wondering if the St.Croix is worth so much more money.
I haven't built any matrix rods yet and wasn't sure how they were. The customer pointed the matrix blank out to me and they doe want it to be a 4 pc. at least.
easier for travel. I really appreciate the help ...this newbie needs all I can get.

Thanks
Mark

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 06:17PM

Check that again
I can only find a 4F908.4 and not for 115.00

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 06:36PM

You can find that matrix blank for $44.74. The only matrix I have felt were popping blanks in emerald green. I thought it was a nice blank. I confess to having a man crush for st. croix but I never felt their fly rods.

The quickline series would be between those ranges and are getting rave reviews.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 06:52PM

depending on how the customer likes to cast a line What he has used and is using now
The softer casting - IMHO - would be the Matrix
The rod with more power in the butt and a faster casting action would be the St Croix

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 14, 2014 07:31PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> depending on how the customer likes to cast a line
> What he has used and is using now
> The softer casting - IMHO - would be the Matrix
> The rod with more power in the butt and a faster
> casting action would be the St Croix

Thanks Bill...he wants to use this rod mostly for King salmon and steelhead.
With a traditional fly rod setup. Until now he has only used the plunk and dunk setup
with a 10 ' 9 wt. 2pc rainshadow. He is just getting started in this addiction.
Thanks again!
Mark

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 11:28PM

Never been impressed with St. Croix fly rods. There ok but not that great. I would say they are a TFO trying to be a Sage. I would look at a Batson RX7 or Quickline by Pacbay. Both great blanks for the money and will satisfiy everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster