I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Concept Q, again
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 05:35PM

Okay,
I've measured reels, gotten measurements from others, plugs the numbers, read the post, etc. It seems I have two possible forks in the road.

1 - If I use the GPS, I will need to go to a lower and/or smaller ringed guide to get in the 18 to 22 inch zone. A KL-H 16 still shows too close.
2 - Put the KL-H 16 at 18 to 20 inches, put the choke guide at .45 x distance from stripper to tip, then space the reduction train appropriately in between.

Which should I do? I might sometimes use a soft 8lb mono, so I don't think I should go to a smaller ring than a 16. The reel is a 2500 Symetre FYI.

So am I missing something? I prefer not to order a dozen extra guides I won't use, just to experiment.

Thanks all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Concept Q, again
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 07:13PM

Marty,
I wouldn't be too critical on the setup for the rod. I would place either a size 16 or size 20 stripper at 19 inches, and place the rest of the guides following the bend of the rod to insure you have a smooth line path to the tip.

Set up the guides in a way that looks right and makes sense to you and gives you a good line path both with line going out, as well as when retrieving line. Then, do some test casting and retrieving and if anything needs changing tweak the guide size and or position.

Guide placement is not difficult. Do not overthink or over calculate either the guide sizes or position.

Good luck

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 09:33AM

#2 for sure. I just finished 5 spinning rods from 6'6" to 7'6" using #2 and only 2 of them required any guide repositioning after test casting. Use GPS to position the stripper.

Date: May 07, 2014 11:29AM

Jim,

Thanks for the patience on these questions.

Just to make sure I'm clear, if I use option 2 I am taking a different direction than GPS. According to GPS - using my measurements of A = 81.5, B = 74 and C =104 - I have a choke point of 40" before I select a guide style. When I select the KL-H frame, it moves the choke point back to 32" and puts the KL-H 16 at 15.5". A 12 would be at 20", but as I said above, I might use 8lb mono on occasion and think that would be too small. If I only used braid (10lb Sufix 832) I suspect it would work fine.

It seems to me that my option 2 means using the material you sent me from Anglers Resource to select the REDUCTION GUIDE GROUP, but in order to get the stripper past 18" I would push the group forward from where the GPS puts it. In other words - I have to pick GPS or 19 inches, I can't use both.

That make sense?

Sorry if I'm bugging you with too many questions, but I hope the answers help others that may be like me trying to get up to speed on K-Concept.

By the way, the materials you sent were very helpful. I've enjoyed looking them over.

Marty

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 12:10PM

I think you might be OK with a GPS stripper position for braid but with the mono thrown in you might be better off pushing it out some. Test with the mono and the braid will take care of itself. Might start at 17 and move out from there until all is smooth and long. GPS was developed for the New Guide Concept...lower frames that end up further out. Sometimes it gets whacky with KR. I am working on a solution.

1) Choose a "group" based on line choice and reel series
2) Use GPS for a stripper "neighborhood"
3) find choke with .45 multiplier
4) bullseye "group" between stripper and choke
5) add runners
6) Fish

Date: May 07, 2014 12:22PM

I especially like 6)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster