I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

majic marbling
Posted by: jim barb (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 06:04PM

On Mudhole's website, they show the magic marbling paint and the picture shows EVA and or cork being marbled. Is the picture wrong or can the magic marble paint be used on EVA or cork? Just curious since I haven't tried either one yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: majic marbling
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2014 06:43PM

As the article pointed out, you can marble about anything including EVA and cork. There are some surface preparation steps for different materials, of course.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 06, 2014 09:35PM

The 4 rods in the picture on Mudhole's site were all done over rigid pour foam. On the green rod, I turned the rear grip with eva, but the butt grip was done over rigid pour foam. Those were the very first rods I did after I got the technique figured out. I believe mudhole recently sent out an email, and in the email it showed it over cork.

Nonetheless, a Mad-Swirl can be done over wood, eva, cork, etc. I've done it over all of them, and I know of a few builders doing them over wood. I typically do mine over rigid pour foam. It can be used on reel seats, blanks, and whatnot. The key is to prep the item correctly. If doing grips, you need to make sure you have a smooth surface. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout. 502.439.4123.

Here is a video I did about the time my article ran. There were a lot of questions after the article about the process because I covered both the borax method and use of magic marble to achieve a mad-swirl. This video was done just to demonstrate how it works and how simple magic marble is, but does not list all the steps. In the videos, I do a mad-swirl over cork. I haven't used the borax method since I found magic marble paint. Magic Marble is super simple to use.
[www.facebook.com]

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 09:43PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 06, 2014 09:58PM

Just to note, the magic marble will need a protective coating. I've used magic marble over rigid foam, eva, and cork on freshwater rods and I haven't had any issues. I know there are some guys out there trying it with surf rods, with rod holders, and whatnot, but I haven't followed up with them to see if they are having any issues.

Posted by: jim barb (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 09:58PM

Thanks for the reply. If you have cork seal on will that work as a prep? Then what is normally the protective coating after marbling. Will a spray polyurethane work?

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.swo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2014 07:47AM

jim barb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the reply. If you have cork seal on
> will that work as a prep? Then what is normally
> the protective coating after marbling. Will a
> spray polyurethane work?

you will need to fill pores/pits with something like wood putty on cork, or thread finish then prime. For a protective coat on grips, I use the epoxy sold by riley rods, but thread finish will also work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster