I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spey rod Conversions to Center pin rod.
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: April 09, 2014 10:50AM

How many of you have used a Sage spey blank to make into a float/centerpin rod? What are your thoughts about this? Was it for you or was it for a customer? What model and seris did you use?

Looking at either the Method or the One series in the 7136-4 or 6126-4.

Any feedback.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spey rod Conversions to Center pin rod.
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 09, 2014 11:27AM

I've thought about this also. I've got a 12' 7/8 wt spey blank from Anglers Roost that I'm thinking of turning into a Center pin rod.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: April 09, 2014 01:12PM

I used a Batson RX6 11'6" 6/7wt spey blank to build a float rod (levelwind). I wanted a rod that could break down for pack trips and that was a bit longer than the typical 10'6" west coast float rod for larger rivers.
The rod performs flawlessly fighting salmon upwards of 20lbs in moving water - as expected it flexes deep into the butt, but I found the slower action requires a lot more effort to make long casts vs. a true float blank (i.e. Batson XST).

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.50.108.216.auroracollege.com)
Date: April 09, 2014 04:28PM

Rolly
I have done a couple and am currently working on a couple more.
I did a 14' 9/10 wt Batson for pinning tarpon and shark for myself.
I also have built a Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 for myself for West coast salmon and steel.
Currently working on a pair of Sage One 5126-4 builds for a client for him to take to New Zealand.
Probably going to build myself another Sage One either 5126-4 or 6126-4 for myself as these are sweet blanks!!! :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 04:28PM by Dave Orr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster