I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Differences in EVA Quality
Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: March 27, 2014 04:59PM

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of using EVA for a handle for the first time and I have a question...
Are there differences in the Quality of EVA or is it all the Same stuff?
I bought some big EVA Blocks from mudhole that I can shape myself but I read something about "high density EVA" and I was wondering if there is some EVA that is stronger or more chip resistant than some others?
All opinions or expierences Welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
Jeroen, Antwerp, Belgium

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Differences in EVA Quality
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2014 05:29PM

EVA varies by hardness. Less hard is easier to mount but perhaps not as durable nor comfortable in the hand over long periods. Firmer is harder to mount (often must be reamer closer to the mounting size as it doesn't stretch as easily) but more desirable on most rods.

It's not really a difference in quality, just in how firm it is.

Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 12:33AM

Anyone have a good source for hard eva?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 01:13AM

In reformed grips, Batson's grips are pretty firm. I've found shaping EVA softens it a bit.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 28, 2014 11:32AM

Hello all,
We have had customers ask for both harder and softer grades of EVA in the past and are able to produce both via special order (MOQs apply of course.) Our standard grade of inventory EVA has a shore durometer of 55A +/- 7 which is pretty hard compared to the bulk of whats on the market. Like any grip, as it gets harder comfort may decrease, but sensitivity increases.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2014 12:40PM

Ergonomic studies from the 1950's indicate that firmer grips on "tools" are generally more comfortable as they generate less fatigue in the hand muscles. Softer grips require more effort to hang onto in situations where you're fighting a fish or casting.

You can read a more thorough discourse on fishing rod grip ergonomics in the Volume 10 #3 issue of the magazine. It remains the single most popular topic we've ever covered.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2014 01:27PM

Why not just use a harder material ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: March 29, 2014 04:14PM

Thank you for your info guys!
Geoff, Is it possible to order the "hardest EVA" from you?
Thanks!

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2014 11:22PM

Think about covering EVA with X-Flock shrink tubing, adds the overall costs but protects the EVA from rod holder damage and other hazards.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2014 10:30AM

If you are going to use a rod holder you might be better off with this
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: April 01, 2014 06:41PM

Mr. Teugels,
You would have set up a special order through a dealer. The MOQ for the hard grips would be 100 pieces per item. You can find a dealer on our website www.fishpacbay.com.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster