I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question - KSUN-270 printer vs KSUN-360
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 10:15AM

This is really aimed at anyone who purchased the K-sun 270. Is there anything about this labeling set up that makes you wish you had purchased the K-sun 360? I'm trying to convince myself that I really don't need the higher resolution. Is there something else larger size label, selection of label etc that makes you wish you had spent the extra $$ ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question - KSUN-270 printer vs KSUN-360
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2014 11:44AM

Not sure you'd need it, but the additional resolution is generally beyond what the human eye can reveal in decals of this size. The 360 does offer the ability to print a much wider decal, although the 270 will go up to 1 inch wide. How much more do you need?

Posted by: Hal Lambert (165.166.57.---)
Date: March 25, 2014 12:06PM

I have played with mine some and I do not see any need for the higher resolution. The 270 prints very clear and crisp. The only advantage to the 360 that I see would be the ability to cut round edges on the decals but this is not something that I see necesary if using the clear tape.

Posted by: Dan O'Brien (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 12:12PM

Does the software that comes with these printers allow for any customization of the labels or are you confined to a few select fonts in either plain or italic text? Are label edges very visible? Wish I could have attended the a Expo to see an example of the label!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2014 12:27PM

You can use any of well over 100 supplied fonts, or import your own graphic which may include any font or illustration of your own design. In that respect, the "font" selection is infinite.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 12:33PM

Software allows you to select any font in your computer. You can find thousands of free font on the web. You can also import logos or graphics. The tape is thinner by 1/2 from Brother P-Touch. If you want, I will send you samples to try.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 02:19PM

I bought the 360 thinking that if I bought the 270 that at some point I may want to upgrade to the 360 so I upgraded in the beginning. I like the idea of being able to go up to 1 1/2" tape because of the many offshore and stand up rods that I build. I'm just now starting to use it and made several name decals and the resolution is crisp and clear. I also noticed that the half inch tape is on the small side for trying to print more than two lines on the decal. I'll be ordering some 3/4" and 1" tape in the next day or so. All in all I'm real happy that I bought the 360 over the 270. Now I don't have to second guess myself.

Lance

Date: March 25, 2014 02:59PM

Lance --- Yeah, that's the point I'm at. Why not spend the $$ upfront and not wonder later.

Date: March 25, 2014 02:59PM

Lance --- Yeah, that's the point I'm at. Why not spend the $$ upfront and not wonder later.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 03:01PM

Exactly

Lance

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 03:32PM

I wasn't at the show in NC but would love to see some pictures of finished examples posted on the PHOTOS site.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: March 25, 2014 04:15PM

I like the idea of silver or gold on clear tape and the ability to import graphics. I've been using black inkjet over an underwrap of silver or gold -- they look ok but the gold or silver directly on the blank would,, I think, be much "classier"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 08:40PM

I would still like to see what this machine can do as to graphites Fones etc.

If any one that has this can you post as to what you have made I want to see how far this can take a Decal

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 09:14PM

Here's a link to the photo of a name decal I made with the silver on clear 1/2 decal tape.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 09:43PM

Thanks Lance

But for the cost I want more I can have Decal connection make that

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 10:57PM

Bill, this machine can do a whole lot more. All I made was a simple name decal because my customer wanted him name on his rod. Now I don't have to wait days to get a name decal in the mail if a customer wants it on his rod. I still use Decal Connection for my more intricate or special decals that I may need.

Lance

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 01:58AM

Lance, That decal looks great. Looks no different then the ones from my ALPS. The only problem is, it won't do multi-colored labels.
But still, supplies for the ALPS are hard to come by these days. I think I have to make a decision before March 31st.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 02:07AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 26, 2014 09:15AM

Here's an anecdotal story of my first experience with the model 360:

I was just finishing up a rod rebuild on a Shakespeare 9' 10wt fly rod built as a downrigger trolling rod for a very image conscious customer who runs a local charter service. I built the rod over 20 years ago and after years of use it certainly needed a face lift and some new grips and guides. I decided it would be a great opportunity to try out the model 360 printer I bought at the ICRBE.

I've never been able to talk this captain into any kind of decorations on the rods I made for him in the past. He has a definite preference for black on black and a simple low contrast trim band. I also know he's very proud of his boat, it's certainly a premier boat among the local fleet. I recall a few years back he traded a charter to a pro photographer for a photo shoot of his boat all rigged out on the water with him standing in the back holding up a large freshly caught salmon. The name of his charter service is clearly seen in the photo painted on the side of his boat.

So I go to his charter service website, copy and save the photo. I load the photo into photo editing software I got with my camera, and I apply a software image editing tool that simplifies and changes the photo to an artist line drawing. I fool with the settings a bit to get a good balance of fill and contrast and save the image under a new name. I do a Google search for fonts and after a few minutes I find a match for the font he uses on his website heading. Then I imported the simplified line drawing image into the printer software and used his font to add the words "Custom made for (and his business name) next to the image, and print out the label.

From start to finish, including the time to modify his photo, find a match for his font, and bring the two together on the label, I had less than 15 minutes of time invested.

So I arrange to meet him at a local fishing club meeting, where he's been invited to speak on spring fishing techniques. The meeting location is half way between us and I usually go to the meetings for networking and social reasons anyway. During the intermission of his presentation, I give him his rebuilt rod, and he's floored by the image of his boat (with the name of his charter service on it). He starts showing it to everyone that came up with questions for him during the break. Then after the break he takes a break from his power point and starts telling everyone about how to judge a great fishing rod for our fishery and how I build them and before i know it the president of the club asks if I can spend a few minutes after the captains presentation to talk about custom rods and rod repairs and before the night is over I have deposits on orders for six rods and seventeen labels to be added to the other rods I made for him in the past.

The first label out of the machine (with a fortunate turn of events) paid for the printer 3x over and then some.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 26, 2014 10:32AM

So what is the price on these models? there is zero info on the web page as to cost and tapes.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2014 10:32AM

Hi John, Thanks for sharing that story. Glade to hear your enjoying the printer.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster